'C:\Program' is not recognized as an internal ...

Monkey Forums/Monkey Bug Reports/'C:\Program' is not recognized as an internal ...

Xaron(Posted 2015) [#1]
Trying to build for Windows Phone I get an error (84d):

'C:\Program' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
operable program or batch file.
TRANS FAILED: Error executing 'C:\Program Files (x86)\MSBuild\12.0\Bin\MSBuild.exe /p:Configuration=Release /p:Platform=Win32 MonkeyGame.sln', return code=1
Abnormal program termination.
 Exit code: -1

Most probably this is due to missing quotes because the path has spaces?

Amon(Posted 2015) [#2]
This may seem extreme but it will sort this problem out 95% of the time.

MSBuild's location with the release of VS 2012/13 moved to a different location. For some reason there is references to it left on your PC/Laptop that point it to the old location in program files x86 or there is another reference to it that overides the current location.

I fixed this, after trawling the net for centuries reading contradictory methods, stupid posts that didn't make sense, by uninstalling every version of Visual Studio that I had installed. I did quick system clean, most important was a registry clran with CCleaner. Then I rebooted.

After reboot the first version of VS I installed was Visual Studio 2012 Express, now you may not need the entire language install and can make do with just the C++ part of ther 2012 express edition. After that I installed Visual Studio 2013 Express, again you may not need the entire install as the C++ part would do. After install you must reboot.

Test your monkey game and basically report back if it works or not.

Regards,

Xaron(Posted 2015) [#3]
Well actually MSBuild.exe is at the location above. I did a fresh Windows installation and installed VS2013 directly after. Will check again, thanks!

Amon(Posted 2015) [#4]
Yes, MSBuild is at that location but do a search on your PC for MSBuild and watch how many pop up. The problem is determining which one is set as the default and because you get that error the main one needed is not set as default.

Xaron(Posted 2015) [#5]
Well... I see. After all I did a clean install, only Windows 8.1 plus VS2013.

BTW: Just tried Monkey 79e and it works there!

Xaron(Posted 2015) [#6]
Can someone try please to compile any example for windows phone? I've tried different computers with different setups and it simply fails at compile time. v79e works fine.

marksibly(Posted 2015) [#7]
Pretty sure the builders are just missing some quotes, will fix for next release.

Xaron(Posted 2015) [#8]
Thanks Mark. BTW why is there now a Windows Phone and a Windows Tablet target?

marksibly(Posted 2015) [#9]
> BTW why is there now a Windows Phone and a Windows Tablet target?

They've been there for ages!

Also, to build winrt apps, I found it easiest to just use 'F8' to translate, then switch back to VS to build/run.

Xaron(Posted 2015) [#10]
Well it was ages ago I did my last winrt build. ;)

Thanks will check it. How about that networking issue? Could you reproduce it? :)

Xaron(Posted 2015) [#11]
Ok, looks like Amon was right (as usual ;) )

After some deinstalling, VS repair and installing sessions it works now. Strange enough...