Admob - Deprecation of the Standalone AdMob SDK

Monkey Forums/Monkey Bug Reports/Admob - Deprecation of the Standalone AdMob SDK

therevills(Posted 2014) [#1]
Just a heads up, that Google soon (August 1, 2014) will stop accepting new or updated apps that use the standalone Google AdMob SDK, which MonkeyX currently uses.

I believe the version IronStorm's Google Play Services is the "fix" for this:
https://github.com/Ironstorm/bbd

marksibly(Posted 2014) [#2]
Do we need to support Froyo?

therevills(Posted 2014) [#3]
Do we need to support Froyo?

I would say no, according to Google's stats Froyo has less than 1% of the market...

https://developer.android.com/about/dashboards/index.html?utm_source=ausdroid.net

marksibly(Posted 2014) [#4]
Time to upgrade the android target perhaps? What's the max min-target version we should support?

At least API-10 sounds good to me (2.3.3) as it supports gles20 too. But if we can get away with a higher version, even better...

therevills(Posted 2014) [#5]
2.3.x is still used by quite a few people... looking at the stats just under 15%. The most used versions are 4.x and 2.3.

I would still like to support 2.3.x for the moment.

Also Google dropped support 2.2 last year:
http://googlecommerce.blogspot.com.au/2013/10/with-google-play-services-40-us-android.html#!/2013/10/with-google-play-services-40-us-android.html
With over 97% of devices now running Android 2.3 (Gingerbread) or newer platform versions, we’re dropping support for Froyo from this release of the Google Play services SDK in order to make it possible to offer more powerful APIs in the future.

marksibly(Posted 2014) [#6]
Not sure what the deal is with 2.3.x, where x<3.

API 10 is for >=2.3.3, but API 9 appears to have been dropped from the Android SDK altogether.

So is 2.3.3/API 10 OK for minimum target version?

therevills(Posted 2014) [#7]
So is 2.3.3/API 10 OK for minimum target version?

Fine with me :)

Maybe a post in the general forum to letting people know/asking their opinions... I think it should be okay though.

Xaron(Posted 2014) [#8]
Fine with me as well! Go for it!

SLotman(Posted 2014) [#9]
I don't think the old AdMob SDK is going to be dropped - they will from August 1st stop counting views/clicks on ads not upgraded to their new system - but this is in the control panel only - or did I misinterpreted Google's email?!

As far as I understood, old games/apps with the old sdk will still work - as long as you upgrade your account...

therevills(Posted 2014) [#10]
From the email I received:
Deprecation of the Standalone Google AdMob SDK for Android
On August 1, 2014, the Play Store will stop accepting new or updated apps that use the standalone Google AdMob SDK. The standalone SDK does not use the Advertising ID, and will therefore be non-compliant with the Google Play Ad Policy on this date.

The main standout point is that they will stop accepting new or updated apps using the standalone AdMobs, which MonkeyX uses... therefore any app coded in MonkeyX using the current AdMob module will not be able to deploy the Play Store.

Xaron(Posted 2014) [#11]
So we must update all existing apps as well, right?

therevills(Posted 2014) [#12]
If you update your app with a new feature which is using AdMob and want to deploy it after the 1st of August 2014 you will also need to update to the Game Services AdMob... if you don't need to update your apps they will continue to work (until Google decides to totally stop supporting the standalone AdMob SDK).