Windows RT/WP8 Keyboard not working

Monkey Forums/Monkey Bug Reports/Windows RT/WP8 Keyboard not working

CopperCircle(Posted 2014) [#1]
Windows 8/WP8 Enable Keyboard is no longer working. Thanks.

marksibly(Posted 2014) [#2]
Did the virtual keyboard ever work on winrt? I remember wasting a crap load of time trying to *get* it to work, but I'm not sure I ever did. I'll have another look soon (it may be easier now that winrt projects include 'xaml').

The physical keyboard should work fine though?

CopperCircle(Posted 2014) [#3]
Not sure if it did work with RT, but definitely worked with WP8, the physical keyboard is also not working with RT or Windows 8 Store apps?

marksibly(Posted 2014) [#4]
winrt_winphone8 EnableKeyboard should be working again in v79a, but I'm still stumped by winrt_win8.

CopperCircle(Posted 2014) [#5]
Great thanks.

CopperCircle(Posted 2014) [#6]
Hi, it is almost working :) It pops up now but disappears if you press anywhere on the Monkey app screen, I have some textboxes, if I enable the keyboard and the press on the next textbox the keyboard disables itself. Thanks.

marksibly(Posted 2014) [#7]
I'll have a look, but unfortunately I'm not sure there's much I can do about this - it's just the way the 'new' way of reading the keyboard works. If it loses focus, the keyboard is hidden automatically. You should get sent a GetChar of 27 when this happens though, so worse case you could re-enable the keyboard?

If you're also developing for Android/iOS, you'll need to take care of this anyway as these targets also allow the user to abruptly 'close' the keyboard, which is basically the same thing.

Stupid thing is, the pre-xaml version of EnableKeyboard was basically *one* call to an internal API that did exactly what we need! But the xaml-ized version needs to use a 'hidden' textbox and other ugly hacks to achieve the same thing, much of which leaves us at the mercy of how the winrt gui works.

CopperCircle(Posted 2014) [#8]
Ahh I see, thanks.