Windows 8.1 support

Monkey Forums/Monkey Bug Reports/Windows 8.1 support

LinderBoss(Posted 2014) [#1]
I upgraded the Windows 8 solution which Monkey 78e generates for Bananas\mak\Mojotest.

It throws an Access Violation error at runtime (VS 2013 stops at a GC related function).

Also, there are several methods, classes and controls marked as deprecated as Win 8.1:
- The class DisplayProperties and its events were replaced by DisplayInformation.
- The control SwapChainBackgroundPanel was replaced by SwapChainPanel.

There are any plans to support Windows 8.1 and WP8.1 soon?

Also there are lots of compiler warnings, mostly primitive type castings...

Thanks!

LinderBoss

therevills(Posted 2014) [#2]
Can you create small simple example which shows the access violation?

nikoniko(Posted 2014) [#3]
therevills wrote:
Can you create small simple example which shows the access violation?

LinderBoss wrote:
Bananas\mak\Mojotest.

Mojotest does.

I tested anothers bananas without AV.

LinderBoss(Posted 2014) [#4]
I suppose Mojotest from bananas is simple enough, but I'll try to create a sample based in my own game, which is affected to.

dopeyrulz(Posted 2014) [#5]
I'd be interested in the universal app support announced at Build last week (unfortunately maybe more work for mark maybe???). Eventually one solution across store, phone and Xbone. Going to investigate how this works...

nikoniko(Posted 2014) [#6]
dopeyrulz wrote:
I'd be interested in the universal app support announced at Build last week

just idea - build new target "win_universal"

marksibly(Posted 2014) [#7]
I'll try and find out why upgraded project crashes, but in general I don't plan to make the winrt target '8.1 only' just yet.

marksibly(Posted 2014) [#8]
Ok , turns out you have to 'disable security checks' (a c++ compiler option) to build stuff for windows 8.1 in msvc 2013.

The security checks option is currently zapping objects with 0 when you create them, which is overwriting GC info.

dopeyrulz(Posted 2014) [#9]
Mark,

Been doing some learning about these universal projects. Essentially from 8.1 onwards (Store and Phone) apps across these platforms will now share essentially 95% of code (previously 20%-30%) - the only real differences being specific features such as SMS and printing (examples given) which are dependant on the platform. It sounds like all WinRT store APIs have been transferred to the Phone - the example app shown even the XAML for specific controls can be shared on either which is great (previously not without changes or different APIs). Eventually XBone apps will be applied to this platform also. One other benefit for app builders is the apps across platforms can either be combined purchases (ie. buy on phone and you get the store app) or each can be separate - power to the developer.

You are probably right in not jumping in ATM but going forward this sounds like Microsoft have now got a solid platform (phone, tablet) wide API rather than the hotch-potch of various systems - obviously for yourself this has been an annoying and painful process but finally!!

LinderBoss(Posted 2014) [#10]
Thanks, Mark! That /GS- compiler option solved the crash issue.

Now I trying to understand why KeyHit() isn't working in Win 8.1.

I plan to support Windows 8.1 only but I need to stay with WP 8.0 for a while.