OUYA - Identifying which touchpad is being used

Monkey Forums/Monkey Bug Reports/OUYA - Identifying which touchpad is being used

computercoder(Posted 2013) [#1]
I was reading through the forums at OUYA, and was in particular looking for how the touchpad of the four OUYA controllers could be used in an intelligent way.

One of the OUYA team members posted code for detecting each controller's touchpad events:

Is this something that could be added to Monkey in the Official Android (Ouya) Game target?

We could make some really neat features and provide cool functionality to the OUYA games we create with monkey using this capability :)

caffeinekid(Posted 2013) [#2]
Does the OUYA onscreen keyboard work with the controller in Monkey? I hope so. The touchpad seems horrible in my limited experience - it's more like a mousepad on a laptop than a true touchpad.

computercoder(Posted 2013) [#3]
If the controller is capable of utilizing it, then the Monkey setup will work as well. I haven't tried it, but its worth a shot.

I agree with you on the touchpads. They really aren't the best, but still having this capability would be good to complete the full experience OUYA offers. After a while you get the feel for how well it works and what limits the touchpad offers.

caffeinekid(Posted 2013) [#4]
I've ported another one of my games to OUYA quickly (one that uses the keyboard) and the keyboard seems very erratic and disappears again for no reason, assuming it even comes up in the first place which it doesn't half the time...

And the controller doesn't seem to work for entering text, you have to use the touchpad - and when you try the keyboard usually disappears before you can get the mouse pointer to the right place.

Has anyone got the softkeyboard working well? Or do we need to code our own maybe for high score etc entry to be on the safe side?