Why can't I put " ; " in one line with IF and THEN

Monkey Forums/Monkey Bug Reports/Why can't I put " ; " in one line with IF and THEN

StoneFaceEXE(Posted 2013) [#1]
I like to keep my commands that I include in a separate file in one line, and I use ; (dot and coma) to do it.
Everything is okay, but if there is an IF command then it makes it impossible to keep it in one line.

Example:

Function MouseOverRect:Bool(p1:Int,p2:Int,p3:Int,p4:Int) ; For Local I:Int = 0 To 20 ; If RectsOverLap(Touch[I].X,Touch[I].Y,1,1,p1,p2,p3,p4) Then Return 0 ; EndIf ; Next ; End Function

THAT DOESN'T WORK.

I tried placing ; instead of then and deleting EndIf as well - same effect.
Is it supposed to be that way?

Xaron(Posted 2013) [#2]
Why would you want to do that? o_O

Ok anyway, my first thought was that EndIf should be out there because you don't need EndIf at all for single line if statements...

StoneFaceEXE(Posted 2013) [#3]
Well then it says something about an "unexpected token: Next:

therevills(Posted 2013) [#4]
Also in your example I would say you are missing a return statement, i.e. what happens if no touches occur ;)

Goodlookinguy(Posted 2013) [#5]
The reason you can't do that is because single line if statements can do multiple things on that single line if evaluated as true.

If something Then doThis(); andDoThis(); Return
same as
If something
    doThis()
    andDoThis()
    Return
End
And if you wonder why a EndIf can't be on a single line, it's because it would do something like this...
If something
    EndIf
End
I do believe this is a bug, but, eh, whatever. It keeps hard-to-read code like the above away.

StoneFaceEXE(Posted 2013) [#6]
Great, I've found a bug not worth fixing, yay ^_^

It's sometimes I'd like to keep functions, that there is not much to add to, in one line so I can have them and forget about them

Shinkiro1(Posted 2013) [#7]
I don't want to interfere with your coding guidelines,
but if your IDE supports code folding you can just collapse all functions? + still have readable code :)