Versions after 70e fail to run on Linux

Monkey Forums/Monkey Bug Reports/Versions after 70e fail to run on Linux

sionco(Posted 2013) [#1]
I've tried to run each Monkey version after 70e on Linux, but they fail to startup

I've done the usual (which worked on 70e) such as
sudo chmod 755 MonkeyPro72a and then set 'Monkey' as executable.

Even running ./Monkey from the command line doesn't do anything or display any errors and just returns to the command line:

user:~/MonkeyPro72a$ ./Monkey
user:~/MonkeyPro72a$

AdamRedwoods(Posted 2013) [#2]
this isn't because of the miniB3D+linux mod is it?
http://monkeycoder.co.nz/Community/post.php?topic=5016&post=61501

sionco(Posted 2013) [#3]
Thanks, but no, as I've tried deleting everything and downloading newer Monkey versions to separate directories, without installing any modules, or making any changes, such as the one mentioned.

dawlane(Posted 2013) [#4]
sudo chmod 755? Not sure why you would want to execute the chmod as sudo on something that's not in the meant to be in any of the system restricted directories.

Use
ls -a -l
to get the full details of the read/write permissions, owner and groups in a directory.
If the own is different use chown -R your_user_name_here the_diectory on the monkey directory it's self or if it's group problem chgrp -R group_name_here the_directory.

The monkey executable is written in Blitz Max so try ldd Monkey to see if it's missing any dependencies this is especially so if you are using a 64bit OS.
And remember the Monkey executable runs Ted in the bin directory. They will also need their permission set to execute. You could be lazy and just use chmod -R 770 monkey_directory.
And speaking of Ted I believe it use Qt5 now so check that as well with ldd or install the Qt5 packages.

One more thing file permissions don't work of usb memory stick formatted with vfat or nfts. This is possibly the only time you could use sudo to run run thing on them ( not recommended ).

sionco(Posted 2013) [#5]
ok, thanks
the
chmod -R 770 part worked.

thanks

SOLVED