Ted (IDE) (V1.11+) - Crashing & Slow startup

Monkey Forums/Monkey Bug Reports/Ted (IDE) (V1.11+) - Crashing & Slow startup

ImmutableOctet(SKNG)(Posted 2013) [#1]
For the record, this is based on my experiences on Windows 7(x64) specifically, I haven't messed with Ted on Windows 8, OS-X, or Linux for very long.

Ever since the release of Monkey-Pro(V67), Ted has been crashing and endlessly looping all over the place. This usually happens when I hit the stop icon to kill the process for my project(Especially for Android games). But it also happens when I am writing to the console too quickly, and then close my program. Or occasionally when I am switching between tabs.

Other than the crashing, it seems to take forever to start, it'll just sit there for ten seconds doing nothing. I imagine that this is pretty much just it loading the documentation and what-not, but if that's the case, why isn't it loading it as needed?

It's not a huge issue in most cases, but if it keeps crashing left and right, I have to wait several seconds each time I want to start it.

As a side note: Sometimes when I close the USB 'server' for android via Ted, it just lets the process sit there. This makes me have to manually stop it to delete the build folder for what I last built, which can get annoying when testing new versions of Monkey.

Other than that, the IDE works nicely.

marksibly(Posted 2013) [#2]
Not sure what's causing your crashes, I haven't had Ted crash on me for a while now.

There is some kind of new issue with the latest version of Android, which now verifies if you want to allow remote debugging on the device before you can build. This seems to causes a slower 'first build' sometimes, and I'll look into this soon.

As for the 10 second startup, that reminds me of an issue I used to have on XP - if you've got a PC without a floppy drive, try 'disabling' the floppy in the device manager (if it's enabled). This is an issue with Qt I think, which scans for all 'root' devices when it creates its file tree.

The switching tabs/console output crashes are news to me though - anything I can try to reproduce the problem?

slenkar(Posted 2013) [#3]
Which version of Windows?

On Vista the DEP crashes TEd but on linux its fine.

ImmutableOctet(SKNG)(Posted 2013) [#4]
Well, the crashing tends to be sporadic, so it may be a bit hard to create an example. But I disabled my Floppy-drive, and now it doesn't take anywhere near as long to start, so that's no longer a problem.

I tried to make it crash via the console, and this happened, so it's sadly a success: http://puu.sh/2yV7V - The weird thing is that it very occasionally crashes while it's running. But if I stop the program(via Ted) while it's trying to print to the console, it'll crash a lot more often. I remember MaxIDE having the same issue until I moved to the community driven version.

Could this have something to do with the method you're using to have Ted's console get information? I'm thinking it may be reading from a char/other array further than it should.

Actually, after looking into it more, if it crashes from the more likely cause(Stopping the program via Ted), it only crashes when the window loses focus(Usually after I stop the program I compiled).

So, is this specific to the Windows build of Ted?

Here's a commented version of the code I was using:
[monkeycode]
' Imports:
Import mojo

' Functions:
Function Main:Int()
New Application

Return 0
End Function

' Classes:
Class Application Extends App
' Methods:
Method OnCreate:Int()
' Set the default update rate(60).
SetUpdateRate(60)

' Return the default response, 1 (No errors found).
Return 1
End

Method OnUpdate:Int()
' Just a simple input check:
For Local I:Int = 0 To 16
If (JoyHit(I)) Then Print("Joy: " + I)
Next

For Local C:Int = 0 To 255
If (KeyDown(C)) Then Print("Key: " + C)
Next

' Print to the console every loop:
Print("This is a test.")
Print("1")
Print("2")
Print("3")

' Return 0 (No errors found).
Return 0
End

Method OnRender:Int()
' Clear the screen.
Cls()

' Nothing else so far.

' Return 0 (No errors found).
Return 0
End
End
[/monkeycode]

ImmutableOctet(SKNG)(Posted 2013) [#5]
Slenkar: Which version of Windows? On Vista the DEP crashes Ted, but on linux its fine.

I'm running it on Windows 7 (x64/64-bit) - Service Pack 1, do you know if this is this also an issue on Windows 7?.

Gerry Quinn(Posted 2013) [#6]
I also have Win7 64-bit - I presume it has the latest service pack.

I have found Ted can take a while to come back when I kill a project, but I assume it is waiting for the target to stop. Aside from that it seems perfectly well-behaved.