error: class member is private in extended class

Monkey Forums/Monkey Bug Reports/error: class member is private in extended class

Skn3(Posted 2013) [#1]
So I am pretty surprised if this hasn't been picked up so maybe there is a explanation for it that I missed?

If you create the following three files...

main.monkey

base.monkey

item.monkey

If you run this you will get an error:
ATTENTION: Compilation error reported by Trans: Field Base.value:Int is private.

However you get no error if you put this all in one file:

I tend to put each class in its own file which means its impossible to have private fields with a setup something like this:

entity.monkey
camera.monkey (extends entity)
tilemap.monkey (extends entity)

All fields are forced to be public if you want them to be accessible from an extended class.

A good example of a scenario where you would want to do this is if you were writing an API that provides both a high level access e.g.

or an override API for people to extend e.g.

If name, x or y were set to private and MyObject was in a seperate file (pretty likely) then we couldn't compile. If we set name,x,y to public then we could lose the ability to do certain things like requiring that external access to the object goes through methods. The solution is properties, but isn't it slightly wasteful to add so many get/set function calls even when an object is processing internally?

The above, using properties would essentially be the same as:

It works, just doesn't seem as tidy/efficient.

ziggy(Posted 2013) [#2]
No bug here. Public / private on Monkey is module (file) based, not class based. It would be very handy to have Protected attributes on classes, but that's another thing...

Skn3(Posted 2013) [#3]
Ah right, it would be nice indeed. Whoops I am spamming the bug forum as usual then!

Gerry Quinn(Posted 2013) [#4]
+1 for Protected access qualifier. (This was why I was asking why Node stuff is private in List the other day.)

Skn3(Posted 2013) [#5]
Gerry ahh gotcha, thought you meant just basic access to node.