iOS: screen orientation bug

Monkey Forums/Monkey Bug Reports/iOS: screen orientation bug

anawiki(Posted 2013) [#1]
Hi
With newest xcode 4.5.2 and on devices with iOS 5.1/6 and in simulator you can experience weird behavior in all Monkey apps (ie. bouncy aliens). Rotate device to have home button on the right side and start your app. What you'll is the app that thinks it is in Portrait mode. Rotate device with home button on the left and start the game (after killing the app first) and the app start correctly in Landscape mode.

You can observe the same behavior is simulator but you need to rotate the screen first and then start the app manually (auto-launch will start simulator in "correct" orientation and you won't see anything wrong).

Tested in Monkey v66.

cheers
Roman

marksibly(Posted 2013) [#2]
Hi,

> Rotate device to have home button on the right side and start your app. What you'll is the app that thinks it is in Portrait mode.

This is with a 'plain' build of bouncyaliens...

Does not happen here on my iPad1+iOS 5.1.1 - app always starts in same orientation as device.

On my iPod+iOS6.0, app always starts in portrait - I assume because device 'desktop' is always in portrait - but immediately 'spins' to correct orientation once started.

IMPORTANT!!!!!! Are you using any 3rd party 'game center' (or similar) modules/libs?

anawiki(Posted 2013) [#3]
We used plain Monkey v66 downloaded yesterday with plain bouncyaliens example. No 3rd party modules.

Our iPad 1 with iOS 5.1.1 still uses incorrect orientation when home button is on the right side of device. The same goes for iPad simulator with iOS 5.1.

Good news is that on iOS 6 both with iPad and simulator it works good.

I wouldn't complain if it was only my device, but I received emails from customers complaining about that (in The Perfect Tree game built in Dec using Monkey v66, although with some 3rd party modules, but without the supportedInterfaceOrientation made by you, so we made simplified method ourselves). If you download The Perfect Tree from App Store it replicates the issue too (it's free).

AntonM(Posted 2013) [#4]
We used plain Monkey v66 downloaded yesterday with plain bouncyaliens example. No 3rd party modules.

Our iPad 1 with iOS 5.1.1 still uses incorrect orientation when home button is on the right side of device. The same goes for iPad simulator with iOS 5.1.

Good news is that on iOS 6 both with iPad and simulator it works good.

I wouldn't complain if it was only my device, but I received emails from customers complaining about that (in The Perfect Tree game built in Dec using Monkey v66, although with some 3rd party modules, but without the supportedInterfaceOrientation made by you, so we made simplified method ourselves). If you download The Perfect Tree from App Store it replicates the issue too (it's free).

I have the same problem on iPad 1 with ios 5.0.1
Try this solution, it works for me

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/8738462/uisplitviewcontroller-and-orientation-ios-5-0/10620672#10620672

marksibly(Posted 2013) [#5]
Anawiki,

Can you please email me the the entire bouncyaliens folder including the generated bouncyaliens.build/ios dir?