Android: Resize for array of strings not working

Monkey Forums/Monkey Bug Reports/Android: Resize for array of strings not working

anawiki(Posted 2011) [#1]
Hi
If you create array of strings like that:

Field str:String[5]

and then try to resize it like that:

str.Resize(10)

It gives you errors during compiling like below. Doesn't work in my game nor in Angelfont example (str.Resize(10) put in oncreate)

compile:
[javac] C:\Program Files\Android\android-sdk\tools\ant\main_rules.xml:384: warning: 'includeantruntime' was not set, defaulting to build.sysclasspath=last; set to false for repeatable builds
[javac] Compiling 2 source files to C:\anawiki\MonkeyPro42b\bananas\beaker\angelfont_example\angelfont_example.build\android\bin\classes
[javac] C:\anawiki\MonkeyPro42b\bananas\beaker\angelfont_example\angelfont_example.build\android\src\com\monkey\MonkeyGame.java:1453: not a statement
[javac] ((String[])bb_std_lang.resizeArray(bb_str,10));

marksibly(Posted 2011) [#2]
Hi,

You're meant to use resize like this:

str=str.Resize(10)

...but yes, the above shouldn't happen and will be fixed.

therevills(Posted 2011) [#3]
Mark - when you close a bug that is a duplicate could you please post a link with the original post... I know I should have search in the first place ;)

Sub_Zero(Posted 2013) [#4]
Mark Sibly:
Hi,

You're meant to use resize like this:

str=str.Resize(10)

...but yes, the above shouldn't happen and will be fixed.

Bye!
Mark

Hasn't been fixed in v71c

sjohne(Posted 2014) [#5]
This bug is still current in Monkey Pro 77f and I have no idea how to get around it :-(...

If Bacterias.Length() > 4 Then Bacterias.Resize(4)

Throws this:

monkeygame\MonkeyGame.java:2826: error: not a statement [javac] (c_Bacteria[])bb_std_lang.resize(m_Bacterias,4,c_Bacteria.class);
BUILD FAILED
C:\Program Files (x86)\Android\android-sdk\tools\ant\build.xml:720: The following error occurred while executing this line:
C:\Program Files (x86)\Android\android-sdk\tools\ant\build.xml:734: Compile failed; see the compiler error output for details.

PS: I found the solution to this in another topic from Samah (kudos).

Correct way to resize the array:

If Bacterias.Length() > 4 Then Bacterias = Bacterias.Resize(4)

Way to bypass the compiling error in older versions of monkey:

If Bacterias.Length() > 4 Then Self.Bacterias = Self.Bacterias.Resize(4)

So I guess this has been fixed because Array = Array.Resize(x) seems to work. Sorry for opening this again.

Goodlookinguy(Posted 2014) [#6]
Bacterias = Bacterias.Resize(4)

Resize does not resize the array, it makes a copy that is a new size. Admittedly, the method name is misleading.