iOS builds but doesn't go on iPhone?

Monkey Forums/Monkey Beginners/iOS builds but doesn't go on iPhone?

Boulderdash(Posted 2017) [#1]
Hi I purchased monkey x over a year ago , windows desktop build still doesn't work on my windows laptop.

I struggle to get targets to function each one needs tonnes a reading and searching etc does my head in , I can't believe there isn't a better way ?

My biggest problem right now is getting iOS builds to get on my iPhone 6 ? True to monkeys form I'm going to have to do a course on how to install , ironically computers where meant to do our work but we work for monkey config department ?

I will pay another $100 nzd for a config file free monkey , perhaps hidden deep in the wrong part of the registry ?

I just had a brilliant idea , monkey should setup the config for use, ie have computers do work for us , use code to setup the config ? What a concept , using code to setup the paths but computers can't do that can they !!@"@$&!!?????

Anyway I built "blob" in the examples got 17 warnings but it did build but did not go on iPhone , I'm using the cable that was in the original box

Incompletely lost ? I have three laptops some targets work on each so I need three laptops to get most working I'm tempted to buy "the other one" (compiler) because of that config file..... I'm sick of this I'm spending money on "the other one" because of the "config file" thing ! I'm happy with monkey when I get it to work. Its the hours wasted on the config , I would pay $200 just to not have to configure it.

Any time I post it's usually "how do I config this target" the programming is the easy bit.

Xaron(Posted 2017) [#2]
Have you XCode installed correctly? Is your phone set up as developer device in your developer account?

Boulderdash(Posted 2017) [#3]
Hi I found the program and opened it in Xcoder it runs in the simulator only 17 warnings about value conversion issue

I'm running a 64gb iphone6 and Mac OS Yosemite 4gb ram.

Demo comes up in simulator so I'm guessing I need to copy the xcoder files to my phone yes ?

(I'm not buying the "other one now" just had to get frustrations out !)

Xaron(Posted 2017) [#4]
You cannot just copy xcode files to your iPhone. That's not how it is supposed to work. This is not Android. ;)

You need to register your iPhone in your developer account as a developer device. Then you need XCode to launch your app on your device. If that works, it should work from Monkey as well.

Boulderdash(Posted 2017) [#5]
Thank you for your support I need it !

Lol if it was Android I would just put it down to the 10 minute lag 👏

Ok I will try that , wish me luck !

Boulderdash(Posted 2017) [#6]
It says I have to have it signed then offer to fix the problem and I have to join as an apple developer for $159 NZD that's enough to buy 4 apples or an up-n-go milk drink in New Zealand or 2 litres of petrol.

It's a series of layers to get through to get all the targets working the computer tech course I did years ago for $5000 was easier 💪

dawlane(Posted 2017) [#7]
Last time I checked Apple changed their policy so that you could develop on your own phone and only had to pay the fee if you wish to deploy your creation.
https://forums.developer.apple.com/thread/47843

I did have a fix to actually get Monkey to build and run for iOS devices, but as my iMac is no longer supported, couple with the fact that Apple change thing practically ever time with a new release of xcode. It became a chore to maintain.

Boulderdash(Posted 2017) [#8]
Ok thank you for helping

I'm downloading Mac OS X Sierra on my mac book for a start and I will proceed from there with the latest OS

I'm determined to start on Apple apps , I already have a game to deploy.

I have an emulator that's ported from blitz max to monkey , the HTML version works so far but I get to large errors for android.

So far I cannot find a gripe with apple products,
I'm stalling my second new OS on my laptop and it doesn't cost a cent! not to mention everything works perfectly and FAST no lag ! A MacBook has to be on older than eight years old to no longer be supported I can't even remember back that far lol..

Windows changes non stop ! That's why they have an "run in compatibility mode for Windows X.x" option

Boulderdash(Posted 2017) [#9]
Just did the upgrade as soon as I finished 5Gb OS download had to update Xcode this was another 4.5Gb took hours , it says includes iOS sdk for iOS 10.2 same as my iPhone 6

dawlane(Posted 2017) [#10]
Things not to do when upgrading OS X:
Do not start the upgrade process until you have made a USB bootable memory stick copy or backed up the file of the installer. It's always best to backup any files that you wish to keep and do a clean install from the USB stick.
You should download the dmg image for large applications suck as xcode. I this way if you make a mess of things with the OS; then you don't have to download the lot again.

I'm stalling my second new OS on my laptop and it doesn't cost a cent!
Until they pull support for OS updates and just leave you for a limited time with security fixes. Then you will find out how expensive owning an Apple product really is. If you are lucky, you may get 10 years out of an iMac. At least with a Windows Desktop I don't have to buy a new machine to what basically amounts to a minor update and compatibility mode is for old software that may have trouble running. I can still run software that that is almost 20 years old on Windows 10 x64. The only software that really gives me grief are those that require 32bit copy protection drivers and some of those that were for Windows 95/98. You would be hard pressed to get software that old to work on an Apple machine unless it was downloaded via the AppStore and only then because those that wish to sell on the AppStore are forced to update for the latest OS.

Boulderdash(Posted 2017) [#11]
I don't feel forced to update or own latest Mac mine is 8 years old just installed Sierra and latest Xcode with SDK I'm actually very impressed because it's my second OS upgrade and I don't have to pay anything ?

Install complete and it's sweet no issues , I don't understand Apple issues because I have never had one , I don't feel like apple is making me do anything my laptop is really old , is yours one of those "clam shell" ones

Windows do exactly what you said about Apple , they stop updating an out-of-date OS then only provide security updates

dawlane(Posted 2017) [#12]
Mine is a mid 2007 iMac 2.8 Core 2 Extreme (7.1) (production run August 7, 2007 - April 28, 2008) not much old than the machine you have. The last version of OS X that will install is El-Capitan 10.11.6.

Going by Apples record, as they haven't published any life-cycles for OS X (or any software or other hardware); they support an OS X release for around 4 years with mainstream updates stopping not long after a new release of OS X. This is on average give you around 12 months of main stream support. While Microsoft average 10 years of support, with main stream support lasting on average 6 years and the rest as security updates.

Apple can drop support for their hardware at any time they choose if it fits their business needs.
What causes the major problems with a Windows based PC's is the lack of driver support, as some have found out only after upgrading without checking their PC's manufacture web site. I've had Windows 10 working on hardware 12 years old after a minor upgrade with a new graphics card.

Boulderdash(Posted 2017) [#13]
Yip I'm afraid to upgrade my windows 8 laptop incase the video graphics accelerator goes away or the mouse might stop because my windows laptop is obsolete after two years.

Yeah it's a shame Apple don't backward support really really really OLD hardware ? Shame on Apple !

Monkey X and Monkey 2 work on latest OS X but rejects my build because it must be signed with an Apple developer ID since iOS 10.2 , no problem I have an Apple ID so later today I will try doing a signed build on my iPhone 6 using latest Mac OSX Sierra.

I tried Monkey X and Monkey 2 on OSX 10.12 no issues, I like the module updates in M2.

I'm trying to fully setup Monkey X and Monkey 2 on latest OSX and so far it's run straight away (can't get windows desktop working on windows?) I have found this easier.

dawlane(Posted 2017) [#14]
can't get windows desktop working on windows?
Using TDM 5+ by any chance? There is a known bug that prevents it from using .LIB files. The easiest solution is to edit the makefile in the gcc_winnt templates and remove both the -L openal/lib in the LDFLASGS section. You still need to have the correct binary version of OpenAL installed for the version of TDM you are using. TDM 64 default it to compile native 64 bit binaries. To compile for 32 bit you have to add the -m32 switch to both CPPFLAGS and LDFLAGS in the makefile.
See http://www.monkey-x.com/Community/posts.php?topic=12823

Yeah it's a shame Apple don't backward support really really really OLD hardware ? Shame on Apple !
If they did they would go out of business. They are relying on sales of new hardware; it's in their best interests to stop support of hardware after a certain amount of time. They have always claimed to be a hardware manufacture first, not a software company. That's the reason that they always gave when asked during the PowerPC era if the would port their operating systems over to IBM PCs. If it wasn't for the success of the iPhone; then they would still be a niche little computer manufacturing company in a very competitive market. As it is, they have managed to build a nice little ecosystem for themselves around the iDevices, so that you had to use Apple computers and software to write software their products. Microsoft tried to do a similar thing but it didn't turn out too well for them. And by the looks of it there will soon be a flurry of Window 10 bashing going on over at the BlitzBasic site when the new Windows 10 interface is rolled out.

The biggest worry that a Windows or OS X user should care about, is if both Apple and Microsoft decide to completely lock down their operating systems so that the only way to install software is via their AppStores. If Microsoft did do this; then that would be the final nail in the coffin that they seem to be building for themselves. Apple have come close to it on the ground of system security so they say, but as anyone knows that's a load of BS judging by some of the Applications that have been released on the AppStore. People tend to forget that smart phones are mini computers with phone call functionality and are even more susceptible to the same flaws as an ordinary PC when it come to security.

Boulderdash(Posted 2017) [#15]
My favourite ice cream is tangent-ripple.

I have updated to Seirra and now I'm testing Monkey X and Monkey 2.

When I try iOS target it says things like "no such directory SDK 10.0 etc"

referring to iOS sdk 10.0 but my Mac has 10.2 oh crakatoea ! still not there yet , I feel the pressure in the name of Apple to succeed here, can anyone help ! do I just install an older 10.0 onto my Mac ?

Or when I upgraded to Sierra did I blow it and now with 10.2 I'm to far ahead of myself and I will have to go back to my one year old Windows transformer flip in this case would Windows be declared the winner ?

Boulderdash(Posted 2017) [#16]
SUCCESS.... Apple is the winner !

I just got a code signed "blob monster" on my iPhone 6 using latest Xcode version.

Just had to tinker a bit with the properties.