RPG Project (Update)

Monkey Forums/Monkey Beginners/RPG Project (Update)

BradMangham(Posted 2016) [#1]
Hi everyone,

I have previously mentioned in the forums that I plan to make an RPG style game for my A-Level computer science coding project. We only have the free version of Monkey-X available and I have some basic experience with the mojo plugin. I have researched around the topic and found some good games such as the lost wand. I was wondering if it was feasible to implement these features into the mojo platform:

- Tilemap level
-Potentially scrolling screen?
-Multiple levels

Gerry Quinn(Posted 2016) [#2]
Do you mean can the platform support them if you code them - the answer is 'yes, certainly'!

Or do you mean will they appear as built-in options? In this case the answer is 'no chance'. Mojo is a general purpose library for basic graphic and sound support - it is not designed to operate as an engine for a particular type of game. I think the third party Ignition add-on has this kind of stuff, but as far as I know it is not free.

BradMangham(Posted 2016) [#3]
Yup, I'd be coding it from the ground up, so I was just wondering if it was possible to do. I've seen a few examples for loading tilemaps in mojo from a text file ETC.

If you know of any tutorials/examples of any of the other features I mentioned, that would be a big help! We are entering the design phase of the project soon and I'll need to quote some algorithms for the main features of the game.

Shinkiro1(Posted 2016) [#4]
Yes for all 3.
I know because all of that stuff works in my RPG.

Use an int-array for the tilemap.
Scrolling screen -> have a camera
Each map has it's own file with the respective data in it.