Procedural Skeleton Ragdolls and animations?

Monkey Forums/Monkey Beginners/Procedural Skeleton Ragdolls and animations?

RedGTurtlepa(Posted 2016) [#1]
I've seen this done in Flash games, alot of them, and quite a few XNA C# games.

But how does one get into this kind of development?

Just dive right into the trigonometry and Verlet intergration particle math?

I mean how do I beginto work towards understanding how to perhaps implement something akin to this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iCeOc9IlZds
1. clearly the character has some form of base object, which may be an oval or something.
2. Support for fixed update events is a must
3. implementation of skeleton animation editor/loader is a must
4. character body maps
5. specific body part control for special actions, such as look at mouse, etc

anyone know of any good books on this subject,I tried looking forhours but I cant find alot of information for programming things like this. It seems to me that you just track body parts, and do math on their source rotations, base rotations, origins, joint parts. and if there are diff kinds you map out diff kinds to keep track of. (in a special editor of sorts mostlikely)

Im guessing you build this in:
1. something that can export the data to be read later by your own implementation
2. c++ for speed?

but I heard people do it in any language even c# .

Gerry Quinn(Posted 2016) [#2]
With a single character like the linked demo, I guess they might put all the data together by hand. For a full-fledged game, you'd probably need tools.

I doubt whether the language is so important in most cases. Modern processors can do a fair amount of physics calculations in a frame. Unity uses C# as I understand it, and as a result it does suffer a significance performance penalty. But it's not enough that Unity games have not proliferated.

RedGTurtlepa(Posted 2016) [#3]
Hmmm, Ok I'll give it a shot, I think I'll try to find more books first though.