Which is better optimize Pygame or Monkey (Mojo1)?

Monkey Forums/Monkey Beginners/Which is better optimize Pygame or Monkey (Mojo1)?

RedGTurtlepa(Posted 2016) [#1]
I played some pygame games they usually cost quite a bit of memory and don't run as fast. (during my tests), but my friends tell me to reconsider it. Saying it uses Python which is a powerful language and can allow you to do a lot.

I can read and understand the syntax for Monkey language and also the folder management scheme is very nice. It can also compile down to C++. And it can be just as powerful? or no?
I should note that Pygame code can also be compiled down but I'm not sure if .pyd is the equivilent to whatever Monkey is compiling down to (using gcc? isn't it .cpp?)

Anyway, from anyone who has used both, what have you noticed are big differences, I'm unsure, I always thought pygame was a python framework that binds to SDL. Or is the python bindings for the SDL library.

Gerry Quinn(Posted 2016) [#2]
I've heard good things about Pygame's efficiency, but it may be a relative thing. Python itself is powerful, sure, but super-slow. I'd bet on Monkey on this one.

Note: this is general knowledge rather than any direct comparison I've made. But I remember once seeing a roguelike project fail because Python was too slow (and it wasn't an action roguelike - though on the other hand it was a long time ago). And I recall the Civ 3 (was it 3, might have been 4) map generator, written in Python, ran at the same speed on a Pentium as the map generator for Civ 1 on my Amiga!

So if efficiency is a likely concern, I'd stay clear of Python unless you know exactly what you're doing.

I don't want to overstate this: quite possibly Pygame is efficient enough for your project, and so long as you can code comfortably without making lots of ugly compromises, that's all you need.

It may be that for many simple games nearly all the time is spent in graphic libraries anyway, and it doesn't matter what the control code is written in.

RedGTurtlepa(Posted 2016) [#3]
Thank you for your input on this, I can't find many examples for stress testing Python.... Hmm.... Perhaps Python performance issues are related to how its interpreter uses the python code? I'll research it.

Pakz(Posted 2016) [#4]
I have not been able to get python games to run. Monkey has html5, flash, glfw. Ect. They run on devices.

Python has more users but I have not been convinced that it is better.

alege(Posted 2016) [#5]
In my opinion Monkey-X is better for creating games (from a hobby-programmer-view :) ). I like BlitzMAX and Monkey-X, and use both for several years. I used Pygame with Python, but I dont like it. I tend to native-Code.

Cheers
Alex