3D objects/extensions

Monkey Forums/Monkey Beginners/3D objects/extensions

En929(Posted 2016) [#1]
First, I'd like to thank you all for all of your input on what tool set to use to get started on my journey of 3D game development. I looked into everything that you all said and did days of research on everything that was mentioned. I found the Mini3D module for Monkey-X and I finally got it to working and revert to Blitz 3D tutorials and what MidiMaster made online and it seems to be going alright. I've been experimenting with Unity 3D too. I tend to like both Tool sets and I think that they are interesting and it seems like I'm picking up 3D game development pretty quickly. Hey, it's pretty cool. I may investigate more openGL stuff later. But for now, since I'm still learning and some of my programming knowledge is still limited, I went with the above two tool sets for now; especially if I like and intend to make web games.

My question now is:

What types of 3D objects/extensions does Monkey-X accept? I made a 3D house in SketchUp and saved it under the ".3ds" extension (as is done in Blitz 3D), but it seems like I get a cube in place instead of the 3d house that I made. Thus, what types of extensions does Monkey accept for 3D objects. Thanks!

Danilo(Posted 2016) [#2]
MX does not have a built-in 3D-engine and does not support loading any 3D models,
so it depends entirely on the 3rd party engine you use.

Everything is possible. 3D data is just that - data within a file.
It highly depends on the engine what it can load (and animate), and what not.

En929(Posted 2016) [#3]
Danilo, thus, I was wondering what do people usually do to post their 3D objects into Mini3D or is that possible?

ImmutableOctet(SKNG)(Posted 2016) [#4]
From what I understand, the B3D and OBJ formats are supported by Adam's port. Other than those, I'm unsure of what's supported. I'd recommend FragMotion if you're looking to convert a model to B3D. There's a few other tools that export to it, and if I remember right there was a 3DS to B3D converter at one point. There was also a B3D plugin for 3DS Max back in '09-ish, but I don't think it's compatible these days.

I'd definitely say OBJ is your best bet for static meshes, but you're probably going to need to convert to B3D files for animation. The B3D format's pretty great, so it's not like you'd be missing much from other formats.

Of course, you could always write your own loader, but that's a pretty big task these days.

This takes me back to when I started messing with Blitz3D back in 2008-ish. As a side note, I'm really glad Blitz3D Hardwired and Hybrid exist these days, even if the language itself is archaic.