Doubts before buying

Monkey Forums/Monkey Beginners/Doubts before buying

Ulisses(Posted 2016) [#1]
Hi, guys!

I want to buy a Monkey X license, but I have some questions:

- Can I design levels and other screens using drag and drop (GUI)?
- Can I set collision areas (masks) in sprites graphically?
- Can I apply physics behaviours easily?

I develop games in Construct 2 and Clickteam Fusion usually.

Thanks,
Ulisses.

Arabia(Posted 2016) [#2]
Out of the box - No, No and I'm not 100% sure on the last one - I'd say no based on your "easily" requirement, others will probably disagree with me on this point. You'll need 3rd party addon's to do this, and I'm not sure what you are asking for is available to the requirements you are probably looking for, though there are certainly addons/libraries written to do some/all of this stuff.

With my limited knowledge of Monkey and the two you mentioned, I think they are pretty different beasts - sounds like you're using drag & drop game creators which MonkeyX is not. Even if the additional addons do meet your needs, you are still going to have to get your hands dirty programming fairly heavily. But with this, also comes a lot less restrictions in what you can do.

nullterm(Posted 2016) [#3]
No
No
No

Monkey isn't a GUI based drop n drop game builder.

It is a cross platform, much evolved BASIC based game programming language.

Try the free evaluation version, but given your background I doubt it's what you are looking for.

Arabia(Posted 2016) [#4]
What @nullterm said - I forgot about saying to try the free eval version. If you are looking around, chances are what you are using isn't doing what you need. There is a good chance MonkeyX will and learning to program without relying on drag and drop game creators is fun, makes your brain work and if you come up with something unique and popular could make you some good cash. You've got nothing to lose - give it a go, check out some of the tutorials (the InvaderJim stuff on YouTube is an ideal starting point) - worst case you decide it's not for you but you'll learn something along the way.

Gerry Quinn(Posted 2016) [#5]
Well, it *may* be what you're looking for, if you're a natural coder and you find the game-creators constricting. It's well worth taking a look anyway - especially if you find that you use a lot of custom code in game creators.

Sledge(Posted 2016) [#6]
I develop games in Construct 2 and Clickteam Fusion usually.

If you do happen to be looking to bridge the gap between drag-n-drop and programming then GameMaker: Studio is worth a look too. It's like Fusion with the scripting done properly.

Ulisses(Posted 2016) [#7]
Thanks for your help!