Monkey-X Pro vs. open source

Monkey Forums/Monkey Beginners/Monkey-X Pro vs. open source

MonoDesire(Posted 2015) [#1]
Okay, time for a stupid beginner question...

There is Monkey-X Pro with support for all targets for 99 USD. And there is a free open source variant in GitHub, which seems to also have support for all targets, or? At least that is what it looks like under the 'targets' directory, but maybe that's not the full truth?

I guess I'm missing something here... otherwise, why would you buy the Pro version if there is a free open source version having all targets...?! So, what am I missing?! ;-)

Thanks in advance! :-)

dawlane(Posted 2015) [#2]
So, what am I missing
The Mojo module isn't complete in git hub. To get the full code for all the targets you will have to pay. You could create your own versions of the missing mojo targets, but that takes time and knowledge.

MonoDesire(Posted 2015) [#3]
Thanks for the clarification dawlane! :-)

I am planning to buy the Pro version, I was just curious what was the difference.

dawlane(Posted 2015) [#4]
I should point out that the payed for parts of mojo are under a different license to the one in git hub and as such have restrictions.

MonoDesire(Posted 2015) [#5]
I should point out that the payed for parts of mojo are under a different license to the one in git hub and as such have restrictions.

Oh, I guess you mean the open source product in GitHub has more restrictions?

It says the Pro/full version has a "Full commercial license". I guess that means I can make games using the Pro version of the Monkey-X and distribute and sell them in any way I like. Am I right?

dawlane(Posted 2015) [#6]
The restrictions relate only to those part of Mojo source code that are propriety. You wouldn't be able to modify those parts and distribute them. The zlib/libpng license is a lot less restrictive. The full license allows you to distribute your compiled creation in any way you like, but there maybe restrictions in distributing the resulting MonkeyX compiled source file.
If you need clarification, then I would suggest contacting support.

MonoDesire(Posted 2015) [#7]
The restrictions relate only to those part of Mojo source code that are propriety. You wouldn't be able to modify those parts and distribute them. The zlib/libpng license is a lot less restrictive. The full license allows you to distribute your compiled creation in any way you like, but there maybe restrictions in distributing the resulting MonkeyX compiled source file.
If you need clarification, then I would suggest contacting support.

Got it now. Thanks a lot dawlane! :-)

Steve Ancell(Posted 2015) [#8]
I've encountered people that won't pay for a development kit because they think they won't earn any money back from a game to at least break even, I purchased Monkey-X and JungleIDE basically as a toy. If I make any money from games then that's a bonus, if I don't then meh!

MonoDesire(Posted 2015) [#9]
I've encountered people that won't pay for a development kit because they think they won't earn any money back from a game to at least break even, I purchased Monkey-X and JungleIDE basically as a toy. If I make any money from games then that's a bonus, if I don't then meh!

I agree. I have the same thinking.

I will buy the Pro version quite soon. I have almost completed my game (so far with prototype graphics though), and I am ready to try it out on e.g. Android. And for that I will buy the Pro version. I just wanted to see if the Monkey-X was a good fit for me and my game. So far it has certainly been that. I like it a lot.

Gerry Quinn(Posted 2015) [#10]
Indeed, the 'get your money back' argument makes sense for most people when the tool costs at least four figures, but not really for a $100 tool. The work you personally put into a game that makes $100 will greatly exceed the work needed to flip burgers or whatever to earn that amount anyway!

The balance can depend on circumstances, of course.