dual full screen apps in windows

Monkey Forums/Monkey Beginners/dual full screen apps in windows

Gary Leeds(Posted 2015) [#1]
Just a quick question before I get started on anything. Can Monkey use 2 monitors in dual view mode and output a different screen to each of them in full screen mode? If so is there any example code out there that I can try on the system I need to write some code for.

The monitors are both 1024 x 768 running on windows xp. I cannot change them to span view which would treat them as a single monitor, all windows settings have to stay as default

Thanks in advance

Gary

dawlane(Posted 2015) [#2]
As the mojo is cross platform framework and many device platforms will only have the one screen. I think that the answer would be no. With the introduction of GLFW3 as the core for desktop targets, it should be possible with a bit of a big rewrite to introduce those GLFW3 functions that support multiple windows/desktops.

See the GLFW3 documentation
http://www.glfw.org/docs/latest/news.html

ImmutableOctet(SKNG)(Posted 2015) [#3]
EDIT: See below for an example.

@Gary Leeds: Not exactly, but you could use a single borderless window, and have that be the size of both monitors. You could also technically use external code with GLFW3 for multi-window support, but that wouldn't work as well. As for real fullscreen, I don't think there are any drivers (On Windows at least) that allow for you to go into fullscreen on multiple monitors, and certainly not with multiple contexts. The best way around this is borderless windowed-mode for one or both window(s).

With that in mind, you'd also need a graphics card that could output an FBO or front-buffer that is 2048x768. And that's also assuming the old display server on XP can even make windows that big (It might be able to, I'm not sure). I'm also not too sure about borderless windows on XP, but you could always just make the window slightly bigger.

Since the docs aren't up to date, you'll need to read either your local copy of the 'mojo.app' portion, or view the raw file here. The 'flags' should work for this. 0 should be what you want, assuming you don't want to hack in multi-window support.

From there, you could use external code to correct the window-position, as well as set up the proper size.

ImmutableOctet(SKNG)(Posted 2015) [#4]
Here's the example I was referring to. You could use that, then use 'SetScissor' (Or similar) to draw a specific area. That's the best you'll get without hacking in proper multi-monitor support. That example requires use of the GLFW3 target, which is likely what you're using.