Still no database tools?

Monkey Forums/Monkey Beginners/Still no database tools?

Xyle(Posted 2015) [#1]
Does anyone have any options for including database management tools that are cross platform compatible?

Looking for something that can create, edit or delete tables and items along with queries.

Hard to believe there isn't something already in this AWESOME language!!!

Thanks for any help!!

muruba(Posted 2015) [#2]
What does it have to do with cross-platform game programming? Every database has specific tools, there are plenty cross-platform SQL clients, what is it exactly you are after?

k.o.g.(Posted 2015) [#3]
Do you mean a module to communicate with a mysql or sqlite database and not an management tool?

Xyle(Posted 2015) [#4]
Thanks for the response,

Yes, I was looking to see if there were any modules available to allow for the kind of functions mentioned above. Preferably something that can get saved with the game.

Basically, something I can use in MonkeyX that will be compatible with the different platforms.

Lugato got something going on with MiniSQL, but I cant run the example due to a file Stream error and it looks like it hasn't been updated for a bit.
http://www.monkey-x.com/Community/posts.php?topic=5303&post=58834&view=all#58834

rIKmAN(Posted 2015) [#5]
There is an SQLite module but it is only for the Desktop target.

http://www.monkey-x.com/Community/posts.php?topic=4710&page=1

Emma(Posted 2015) [#6]
I also found the same SQLite module. Here's a link to help you out - https://www.digitalocean.com/community/tutorials/how-and-when-to-use-sqlite
Hope it will help you.

Xyle(Posted 2015) [#7]
Thanks for the help!

It seems SQLite is only available for GLFW. Raz says it may compile for IOS with some tweaking, but I'm not very good at tweaking.

Im a big fan of MonkeyX, but it may not be the proper tool to use for a database app on mobile. Hehehe.

Thanks for all the input!

TeaBoy(Posted 2015) [#8]
Hi Xyle,

You could try using the javascript localStorage / sessionStorage object.

such as:

localStorage.setItem("item1", "gold");

It may be just enough for what you want.

Xyle(Posted 2015) [#9]
hmmm, thats interesting!

I will definitely look into that!

Thank you!

ImmutableOctet(SKNG)(Posted 2015) [#10]
If you're going to use code like what TeaBoy posted, why don't you just write a basic parser around 'LoadState' and 'SaveState'? Better yet, you could use the JSON module ('brl.json') for formatting. The "state" functionality is a bit limited, though.

Xyle(Posted 2015) [#11]
Thanks for the input.

The main thing I was looking for was the ability to store a large amount of data, be able to look data up quickly and alter data quickly. Basically database functionality. The great thing with databases is having those abilities and being able to use them without lagging.

I haven't tried any of the recommendations given yet, but I'm thinking loadstate and savestate may be a little too slow. How quick will the app be able to load 1000's of items, descriptions, numbers and these 1000's of items will have possible links to other 1000's of items.

Looking for something along the lines of managing a contact list, with addresses, phone numbers, email address, etc.

I will dabble around and see what happens.

Thanks!

golomp(Posted 2015) [#12]
Hi,

I have the same opinion as ImmutableOctet(SKNG).

LoadState and SaveState is what i use when i need a little crossplatform DataBase.