Encrypt Data from Monkey to WebServer?

Monkey Forums/Monkey Beginners/Encrypt Data from Monkey to WebServer?

Xyle(Posted 2015) [#1]
Been looking for a good solution to this as there are quite a few posts about encryption inside monkey, but really nothing about encrypting the data sent to a webserver (that I could find).

Basically I needed something to encrypt the highscore information sent from my Monkey Game in a browser to the webserver hosting the highscores, which would then get read by a php file and used accordingly.

During my search I ran into SSL (Secure Sockets Layer) and what it does. Basically it does exactly what I was looking for. The data from the game is immediately encrypted and decrypted on the webserver side. It cost me around $40 a year. But will also allow for secure logins/password/username or financial data to be transmitted securely.

After testing this using wireshark, I noticed that all gets and posts were encrypted where they were not previously.

I was looking for any feedback from anyone to see if this is going to be enough to keep people from hijacking the score boards or to see if there are more procedures that should be implemented.

Thanks for any help!

degac(Posted 2015) [#2]
Hi

I just thinking about the same problem, and asked myself if there are any web-service for leaderboard (like GooglePlay) designed for HTML5/Flash games.

Here what I find (but I never had the time to get deeply)

https://developers.google.com/games/services/ (seems to be oriented to HTML5 apps too)

http://clay.io/

http://superdevresources.com/leaderboard-service-providers-games/

of course if you need payment SSL is a must-have (and I don't know if the above services grant this type of service)

edit: clay.io seems to handle IAP (so I presume SSL/payment managment etc)

TeaBoy(Posted 2015) [#3]
I don't really see that there is a viable solution for this, for the casual user you don't need to encrypt your highscore data, for someone who knows
what they are doing, what's to stop them changing the scores within memory?

I'm not going to pretend I know how to do that, but I would think that it is possible.

[edit]: Perhaps invent a way the game actually runs on the server, so variable data is kept within the servers memory, I suppose kind of like playing a game via teamviewer.

Hmm... maybe I'm typing outta my butt!

Xyle(Posted 2015) [#4]
Thanks for the info degac, its always good to know whats out there. I personally like hosting my own score boards though, I'm sure its an OCD control thing, lol.

As for changing the scores in memory, thats where the MonkeyX encryption methods would be used and there are alot of options out there for this. But if you just encrypt the scores within monkeyX to keep people from altering in game, but don't encrypt the transmission to the score board, you would be in the same boat.

The ideal thing would be to encrypt both inside MonkeyX to keep people from altering game data and to encrypt any data sent back and forth to the webserver, wether using a score board or making a multiplayer game.

I just haven't seen any information on encrypting the data sent to and from the webserver.

Thanks for the information!