About monkey language

Monkey Forums/Monkey Beginners/About monkey language

Nikcydemon(Posted 2014) [#1]
Hi guys, I am new to monkey and I wanna ask that what programming language should I learn first in order to learn monkey X??
I have watched some tutorials of javascript and lua, and I know some basics of programming language and also object oriented theory.
But I found that monkey language is kind of easy and not complicated if compare to javascript but it seems the grammar between them is different.
Any hints might be helpful??
Thanks!!

Shagwana(Posted 2014) [#2]
Could always have a look at the sister languages of BlitzMax

However I think the best way is to just jump on in and have a play.

Gerry Quinn(Posted 2014) [#3]
I think of it as fairly similar to Java, but with Basic-like syntax. But it's easier than Java, so on the whole I'd say jump in. Don't go mad fretting about object orientation until you know what you're doing.

GfK(Posted 2014) [#4]
If you want to learn Monkey, why waste your time learning something else first?

Learn Monkey.

Pharmhaus(Posted 2014) [#5]
I made you a small cheatsheet which hopefully helps you.
*Click*

There are also some examples boundled with monkey within the 'bananas' folder of your monkey installation.

If you have any further questions feel free to ask, thats what this forum is made for :)

EDIT: The JungleIDE template for games is good to get started:

Why0Why(Posted 2014) [#6]
Knowing Monkey really helped me with C#. I was surprised at the similarities.

Nikcydemon(Posted 2014) [#7]
Thank you for replies, guys!!! And @Pharmhaus, thanks for the pdf, it really helps ^^
Just a question here, beside the online resources from this page http://www.monkey-x.com/docs/html/Home.html , is there any other pdfs or books that I can learn basics monkey X??

Pharmhaus(Posted 2014) [#8]
I almost forgot ... :D
Monkey Tutorial Videos

Edit: also fixed some typos in the pdf

Nikcydemon(Posted 2014) [#9]
@Pharmhaus, Thanks man!!!!!

TeaBoy(Posted 2014) [#10]
You don't need to learn another language before learning Monkey, as mentioned above, just dive in things will eventually
'click' into place with how Monkey works.

Plenty of examples to learn from and lots of clever folk on this forum to provide more help.

Have fun! Go bananas!

tiresius(Posted 2014) [#11]
Pharmhaus that cheat sheet is nice I printed it out and am keeping it handy now.
FYI you don't always need "Then".
At least, I only use it for single line If...Then statements.