Build Target Questions

Monkey Forums/Monkey Beginners/Build Target Questions

donicamm(Posted 2014) [#1]
So I have Monkey X Pro. The store page states that you get the following build targets:

DESKTOP (WINDOWS, MAC, LINUX)
ANDROID
IOS (IPHONE, IPAD, IPOD TOUCH)
WINDOWS PHONE 8
WINDOWS 8
XNA (XBOX 360 AND WINDOWS PHONE 7)
FLASH
HTML5
PSM
OUYA

It appears that I only have access to:

Desktop Game
Html5 Game
Windows 8 Game
Windows Phone 8 Game
Xna game

Is there something else I need to do to get the other targets?

ImmutableOctet(SKNG)(Posted 2014) [#2]
In order to use the disabled targets, you'll need to install the associated SDKs. Here's the official guide. It's not the best, but it should help. If nothing else, there's forum posts about the targets and how to set them up. Just keep in mind you'll have to change your configuration file to contain the correct paths.

The other option is Sub_Zero's automated target installer, which seems to be the recommended choice these days. I hear it works pretty well. I've used his old networking module, so I can at least vouch for his code's reliability.

That should point you in the right direction.

dawlane(Posted 2014) [#3]
Note that certain SDK's are only available on Windows and OS X.

DESKTOP (WINDOWS, MAC, LINUX)
Generally to compile for these targets you need to have a computer that is running those operating systems. You can if you know what you are doing, use the GCC/MinGW compiler to cross compile between Windows, Linux and Mac OS X. Setting up cross compilation can be tricky, even more so if you wish to try to compile for Mac OS X on Windows and Linux.
The default compilers for these targets are.
Windows: MinGW and Visual Studio 2010
Linux: GCC. There is also a version of MinGW that can be installed for cross compilation.
Mac OS X: XCode. This is not a compiler, but an integrated development suite along the lines of Visual Studio. It general comes bundled with a few compilers, the SDK for iOS and OS X. There should also be a MinGW cross compiler for OS X.

ANDROID Windows, Linux and Mac OS X all supported
Android requires two things; a JAVA Development Kit installed and the Android SDK. Though there is an emulator, you will also require a real android device to test. I should point out that there is also the Android NDK that is used to compile C++ into native CPU instructions, but this is not necessary.

IOS (IPHONE, IPAD, IPOD TOUCH)
These are strictly Mac OS X and require XCode. Though there is an emulator, you will also require a real android device to test, but to do this part you need to be a member of the developer program which requires a yearly subscription.

WINDOWS PHONE 8, WINDOWS 8, XNA (XBOX 360 AND WINDOWS PHONE 7)
These are strictly Microsoft Windows and require the use of Visual Studio and their SDK's.

FLASH Any platform with a web browser and the Flash plug-in. Note that for Linux Adobe stopped development at version 11.2, but the rumour is that they are maintaining this version until 2017.
Like Android, it requires a JAVA Development Kit and the Apache Flex SDK (formally Adobe Flex SDK).

HTML5 Any platform with a HTML5 supported web browser.

PSM Currently Windows Only.
As I haven't got a Playstation Mobile device, so I can't give any real information on this. As far as I know you need to sign up to the developer program to down load the SDK and from what in formation I can find is that it uses C# and MONO. Before investing any money into this target you should check the news as it has been reported that SONY's mobile business has been losing money.

OUYA Windows, Linux and Mac OS X all supported.
An OUYA is basically a Android Games console, so once you have the JDK and Android SDK, this becomes available. Again you should check the news as the company behind OUYA are looking for a buyer.

donicamm(Posted 2014) [#4]
Thank you very much to both of you.