mojo, ignition x

Monkey Forums/Monkey Beginners/mojo, ignition x

patbou(Posted 2014) [#1]
Hello,

I discovered Monkey X this week and I'm a real newbie to it...

I'm planning on buying the pro version with the jungle ide... and maybe Ignition X...

I would like to know what's the difference between mojo and Ignition X?!?! Do they do the same thing at some level?!!

Thank you very much!

Patrick

MikeHart(Posted 2014) [#2]
Mojo is a graphics, audio, input API. Ignition is a framework build ontop of it just like Diddy or fantomEngine. The later two are free.

patbou(Posted 2014) [#3]
Ok! Thank you Mike!

navyRod(Posted 2014) [#4]
Welcome to Monkey -- newbie here myself and love it

I have all the aforementioned products :)

ziggy(Posted 2014) [#5]
AFAIK, Diddy is not a framework but a bunch of useful functionalities you could use in addition to Ignition X. Welcome!

therevills(Posted 2014) [#6]
Ziggy - FYI: Diddy has a screen based framework along with multiple other modules.

ziggy(Posted 2014) [#7]
FYI: Diddy has a screen based framework along with multiple other modules.
I know that! What I was saying is that Diddy is not a game framework in the same way Ignition X is. Not saying is better or worse or anything, just that it's architectured as a collection of lots of useful things put together. Most of them look like "core language" improvements to me, like all the collections it provides, the XML parser, etc. For me, that's why it's a great framework, because you can use it in addition to any other framework, and it'll still make sense! In the other hand, usually, game oriented frameworks -such as Ignition X- provide a higher abstraction layer based on entities, physics, layers, etc. Anyway. So, for me, they're two different things, but anyway, that's just my two cents!

therevills(Posted 2014) [#8]
We are going to have to agree to disagree on what a "framework" is there Ziggy :)

And to be honest Diddy's screen based framework is heavily (but improved) inspired by Grey Alien Framework (GAF)... when I moved over to Monkey I missed GAF so I made my own version of it...