WinAPI?

Monkey Forums/Monkey Beginners/WinAPI?

Afrobear(Posted 2014) [#1]
Howdy, guys! Well, I want to get started with Monkey X and some questions popped to my mind and I couldn't find anything about in the documentation (forgive me if there is). I was checking the APIs, but didn't find a Win API (to make softwares), is there one?

I've been using a software called Game Maker since 2010, its language is way easier to learn than Monkey's, but it will probably help me out.

Thanks! XD

dawlane(Posted 2014) [#2]
I was checking the APIs, but didn't find a Win API (to make softwares), is there one?
You would have to write your own modules to access any specific API. Monkey is a cross platform tool, so relies on third party cross platform API such as GLFW and OpenAL for desktops.

Afrobear(Posted 2014) [#3]
Oh, cool. So it's totally capable of doing something like a software, very nice. Also, how to make an .exe? XD I'm already getting the basics and I'm now making some simple things like: http://prntscr.com/41a600

Thanks!

dawlane(Posted 2014) [#4]
So it's totally capable of doing something like a software
Yes with a lot of hard work and programming knowledge of the platform you are interested as well as knowing the limitations of interfacing the code with Monkey code. Explore the mojo module and have a look around the user modules forum for some idea of how others have done it.
Also, how to make an .exe?
For desktop on Windows the executable can be in either
{AppName}.build[Version Number]/glfw/gcc_winnt/[Debug Or Release] if compiler with MinGW
{AppName}.build[Version Number]/glfw/vc2010/[Debug Or Release] if compiled with Visual Studio

Monkey works by converting your Monkey code into code that a back-end compiler can use. While exploring the {AppName}.build[Version Number]/glfw/ directory you will see a file called main.cpp. This is the code that gets compiled into the executable.

Beaker(Posted 2014) [#5]
This might be worth a look:
http://www.monkey-x.com/Community/posts.php?topic=3610

Afrobear(Posted 2014) [#6]
Oh, thanks. Also, is there any way to load an image from a custom folder? Or a way to add custom folders to your project. Or even protect your assets by hiding them...