Is Monkey X for me?

Monkey Forums/Monkey Beginners/Is Monkey X for me?

Bond(Posted 2014) [#1]
Hi everybody,

I'm new to these forums, but I've been coding Android games for quite a while in AppGameKit.

I've got an idea for a new app, but unfortunately AGK isn't quite adequate for my needs.
I need comprehensive sound commands and microphone access.
Does Monkey have these?

I'll also need to be able to process the microphone input and detect the frequency (think Guitar Tuner).

Cheers,
Steven

therevills(Posted 2014) [#2]
microphone access

Not out of the box... but the beauty of MonkeyX is that you can add your own commands:
http://www.monkey-x.com/Community/posts.php?topic=1641

Samah(Posted 2014) [#3]
@Bond: I need comprehensive sound commands and microphone access...process the microphone input and detect the frequency...

Sounds to me like you want a full DSP solution. Monkey X does not currently support any form of DSP, but it shouldn't be too hard to write a wrapper on libbass or something. If you're looking for a prepackaged DSP solution, however, Monkey X will not (in its current form) provide this.

Bond(Posted 2014) [#4]
Okay, thanks for the info guys, I can import libraries into AGK, although it's not easy, but I'll probably try that first as I already know the language.
If it turns out too difficult in AGK I know where to come :) I was just hoping there would be a pre-made package with support, but it doesn't look like it, I can't find anything else that might do it :/
Thanks again,

Cheers,
Steven

Gerry Quinn(Posted 2014) [#5]
I think for this sort of application you probably have to go native in some way.