Beginning new user perspective

Monkey Forums/Monkey Beginners/Beginning new user perspective

navyRod(Posted 2014) [#1]
Hi all

As a new beginner to " Monkey (which is awesome) ",

I have had a bit of a struggle knowing what is needed and how to get things
set up for the different device builds.

This product is promoted as a cross platform development vehicle and is definitely
what got me to continue on and purchase it.
( I have bought all of Marks products over time)

I admit I only dabbled with it in the past but now I am trying to really spend some
time learning to initially create some games for my grandkids and if I ever get
some what close to a really game developer level to be able to do that.

I have been able to get some of the examples created here translated and work
for FLASH target, Android, Desktop which is awesome .

But struggling somewhat with windows 8 and windows 8 phone.

I would like to suggest that a new section to the forum be added , a FAQ section (frequently asked question) for new beginners, and a Initial SDK setup FAQ section
that provides better detail on how to set up the target builds for them.

This info could be possibly added under the new beginners section.

I go through the forum posts and see numerous instances of requests for help on how to get the basic setups working for the different builds .

I little extra documentation to help new users get up and running with quicker access to
finding common problems especially for beginning setup would cut down on some frustration of new users and cut down on my annoying posts in the new beginners
section as well :)

Thanks
Rod

AdamRedwoods(Posted 2014) [#2]
i agree with adding a FAQ.
i actually was trying to get one going on GitHub, but as you can tell it's buried and difficult to remember to keep it up to date.
https://github.com/blitz-research/monkey/wiki/Monkey-FAQ

navyRod(Posted 2014) [#3]
Thanks Adam...

Here is an example of what I get when I try to build the monkenstien example using Ted for windows8phone.

Using Jungle.Ide I was able to actually get a W8 phone app of a very simple 'Hello World' app to my W8Phone.

I figured out that since I had 8.1 SDK I had to retarget to that version and then was able to deploy that simple app to my phone so I have a big smile with hopes
of more to come. Now I just need to figure out how to get the monkenstien folder into Jungle.ide as a solution. and go from there .

Would like to resolve the issue with Ted though and I have included the build attempt output below:

Thanks -- Rod --- looking forward to new Monkey Business for a long time. .....

"C:/Monkey/MonkeyXPro78h/bin/transcc_winnt" -target=Windows_Phone_8_Game -config=Release -run "C:/Monkey/MonkeyXPro78h/bananas/skn3/monkenstein/monkenstein.monkey"
TRANS monkey compiler V1.68
Parsing...
Semanting...
Translating...
Building...
Microsoft (R) Build Engine version 4.0.30319.33440
[Microsoft .NET Framework, version 4.0.30319.34014]
Copyright (C) Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

Building the projects in this solution one at a time. To enable parallel build, please add the "/m" switch.
Build started 6/12/2014 12:21:23 PM.
Project "C:\Monkey\MonkeyXPro78h\bananas\skn3\monkenstein\monkenstein.buildv78h\winrt_winphone8\MonkeyGame.sln" on node 1 (default targets).
ValidateSolutionConfiguration:
  Building solution configuration "Release|Win32".
Project "C:\Monkey\MonkeyXPro78h\bananas\skn3\monkenstein\monkenstein.buildv78h\winrt_winphone8\MonkeyGame.sln" (1) is building "C:\Monkey\MonkeyXPro78h\bananas\skn3\monkenstein\monkenstein.buildv78h\winrt_winphone8\MonkeyGame.csproj" (2) on node 1 (default targets).
Project "C:\Monkey\MonkeyXPro78h\bananas\skn3\monkenstein\monkenstein.buildv78h\winrt_winphone8\MonkeyGame.csproj" (2) is building "C:\Monkey\MonkeyXPro78h\bananas\skn3\monkenstein\monkenstein.buildv78h\winrt_winphone8\MonkeyGame.PhoneComponent.vcxproj" (3) on node 1 (default targets).
InitializeBuildStatus:
  Touching "Release\MonkeyGame.PhoneComponent.unsuccessfulbuild".
FxCompile:
  fxc.exe /nologo /E"main" /T ps_4_0_level_9_3 /Fo "C:\Monkey\MonkeyXPro78h\bananas\skn3\monkenstein\monkenstein.buildv78h\winrt_winphone8\Release\MonkeyGame.PhoneComponent\SimplePixelShader.cso" SimplePixelShader.hlsl 
TRACKER : error TRK0005: Failed to locate: "fxc.exe". The system cannot find the file specified. [C:\Monkey\MonkeyXPro78h\bananas\skn3\monkenstein\monkenstein.buildv78h\winrt_winphone8\MonkeyGame.PhoneComponent.vcxproj]

Done Building Project "C:\Monkey\MonkeyXPro78h\bananas\skn3\monkenstein\monkenstein.buildv78h\winrt_winphone8\MonkeyGame.PhoneComponent.vcxproj" (default targets) -- FAILED.
Done Building Project "C:\Monkey\MonkeyXPro78h\bananas\skn3\monkenstein\monkenstein.buildv78h\winrt_winphone8\MonkeyGame.csproj" (default targets) -- FAILED.
Done Building Project "C:\Monkey\MonkeyXPro78h\bananas\skn3\monkenstein\monkenstein.buildv78h\winrt_winphone8\MonkeyGame.sln" (default targets) -- FAILED.

Build FAILED.

"C:\Monkey\MonkeyXPro78h\bananas\skn3\monkenstein\monkenstein.buildv78h\winrt_winphone8\MonkeyGame.sln" (default target) (1) ->
"C:\Monkey\MonkeyXPro78h\bananas\skn3\monkenstein\monkenstein.buildv78h\winrt_winphone8\MonkeyGame.csproj" (default target) (2) ->
"C:\Monkey\MonkeyXPro78h\bananas\skn3\monkenstein\monkenstein.buildv78h\winrt_winphone8\MonkeyGame.PhoneComponent.vcxproj" (default target) (3) ->
(FxCompile target) -> 
  TRACKER : error TRK0005: Failed to locate: "fxc.exe". The system cannot find the file specified. [C:\Monkey\MonkeyXPro78h\bananas\skn3\monkenstein\monkenstein.buildv78h\winrt_winphone8\MonkeyGame.PhoneComponent.vcxproj]

0 Warning(s)
    1 Error(s)

Time Elapsed 00:00:00.49
TRANS FAILED: Error executing 'C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v4.0.30319\MSBuild.exe /p:Configuration=Release /p:Platform=Win32 MonkeyGame.sln', return code=1
Done.

navyRod(Posted 2014) [#4]
Checked out the Faq on github Adam -- nice start -- yes this is a good example -- would be nice to see community support this and continue to Add and Add to it or use this as a
starting point on something new.

Monkey has some good documentation but needs a little more help on the initial newbie side to prevent frustration and to cut down on continuing posts that could be
answered in a FAQ

Nice Start ..

Hopefully this will grow

navyRod(Posted 2014) [#5]
Tried snake example using Jungle Ide and got basically same issue as with Ted ??

C:\Monkey\MonkeyXPro78h\Bin\transcc_winnt.exe -run -config=debug -target=Html5_Game   "C:\Monkey\MonkeyXPro78h\bananas\ferdi\snake\snake.monkey"
Parsing...
Semanting...
Translating...
Building...
Sending Kill signal...
Found process conhost
Found process cmd
Found process mserver_winnt
Connection properly closed.
Process ended with return code 0 at 6/12/2014 1:33:33 PM
C:\Monkey\MonkeyXPro78h\Bin\transcc_winnt.exe -run -config=debug -target=Html5_Game   "C:\Monkey\MonkeyXPro78h\bananas\ferdi\snake\snake.monkey"
Parsing...
Semanting...
Translating...
Building...
Sending Kill signal...
Found process conhost
Found process cmd
Found process mserver_winnt
Connection properly closed.
Process ended with return code 0 at 6/12/2014 1:34:17 PM
Parsing...
Semanting...
Translating...
Building...
Process ended with return code 0 at 6/12/2014 1:34:20 PM
C:\Monkey\MonkeyXPro78h\Bin\transcc_winnt.exe -run -config=release -target=Windows_Phone_8_Game   "C:\Monkey\MonkeyXPro78h\bananas\ferdi\snake\snake.monkey"
Parsing...
Semanting...
Translating...
Building...
Microsoft (R) Build Engine version 4.0.30319.33440
[Microsoft .NET Framework, version 4.0.30319.34014]
Copyright (C) Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

Building the projects in this solution one at a time. To enable parallel build, please add the "/m" switch.
Build started 6/12/2014 1:35:11 PM.
Project "C:\Monkey\MonkeyXPro78h\bananas\ferdi\snake\snake.buildv78h\winrt_winphone8\MonkeyGame.sln" on node 1 (default targets).
ValidateSolutionConfiguration:
  Building solution configuration "Release|Win32".
Project "C:\Monkey\MonkeyXPro78h\bananas\ferdi\snake\snake.buildv78h\winrt_winphone8\MonkeyGame.sln" (1) is building "C:\Monkey\MonkeyXPro78h\bananas\ferdi\snake\snake.buildv78h\winrt_winphone8\MonkeyGame.csproj" (2) on node 1 (default targets).
PrepareForBuild:
  Creating directory "Bin\x86\Release\".
  Creating directory "obj\x86\Release\".
Project "C:\Monkey\MonkeyXPro78h\bananas\ferdi\snake\snake.buildv78h\winrt_winphone8\MonkeyGame.csproj" (2) is building "C:\Monkey\MonkeyXPro78h\bananas\ferdi\snake\snake.buildv78h\winrt_winphone8\MonkeyGame.PhoneComponent.vcxproj" (3) on node 1 (default targets).
PrepareForBuild:
  Creating directory "Release\".
  Creating directory "C:\Monkey\MonkeyXPro78h\bananas\ferdi\snake\snake.buildv78h\winrt_winphone8\Release\MonkeyGame.PhoneComponent\".
  Creating directory "Generated Files\".
InitializeBuildStatus:
  Creating "Release\MonkeyGame.PhoneComponent.unsuccessfulbuild" because "AlwaysCreate" was specified.
FxCompile:
  fxc.exe /nologo /E"main" /T ps_4_0_level_9_3 /Fo "C:\Monkey\MonkeyXPro78h\bananas\ferdi\snake\snake.buildv78h\winrt_winphone8\Release\MonkeyGame.PhoneComponent\SimplePixelShader.cso" SimplePixelShader.hlsl 
TRACKER : error TRK0005: Failed to locate: "fxc.exe". The system cannot find the file specified. [C:\Monkey\MonkeyXPro78h\bananas\ferdi\snake\snake.buildv78h\winrt_winphone8\MonkeyGame.PhoneComponent.vcxproj]

Done Building Project "C:\Monkey\MonkeyXPro78h\bananas\ferdi\snake\snake.buildv78h\winrt_winphone8\MonkeyGame.PhoneComponent.vcxproj" (default targets) -- FAILED.
Done Building Project "C:\Monkey\MonkeyXPro78h\bananas\ferdi\snake\snake.buildv78h\winrt_winphone8\MonkeyGame.csproj" (default targets) -- FAILED.
Done Building Project "C:\Monkey\MonkeyXPro78h\bananas\ferdi\snake\snake.buildv78h\winrt_winphone8\MonkeyGame.sln" (default targets) -- FAILED.

Build FAILED.

"C:\Monkey\MonkeyXPro78h\bananas\ferdi\snake\snake.buildv78h\winrt_winphone8\MonkeyGame.sln" (default target) (1) ->
"C:\Monkey\MonkeyXPro78h\bananas\ferdi\snake\snake.buildv78h\winrt_winphone8\MonkeyGame.csproj" (default target) (2) ->
"C:\Monkey\MonkeyXPro78h\bananas\ferdi\snake\snake.buildv78h\winrt_winphone8\MonkeyGame.PhoneComponent.vcxproj" (default target) (3) ->
(FxCompile target) -> 
  TRACKER : error TRK0005: Failed to locate: "fxc.exe". The system cannot find the file specified. [C:\Monkey\MonkeyXPro78h\bananas\ferdi\snake\snake.buildv78h\winrt_winphone8\MonkeyGame.PhoneComponent.vcxproj]

0 Warning(s)
    1 Error(s)

Time Elapsed 00:00:00.53
TRANS FAILED: Error executing 'C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v4.0.30319\MSBuild.exe /p:Configuration=Release /p:Platform=Win32 MonkeyGame.sln', return code=1
Abnormal program termination. Exit code: -1

Hopefully can get this figured out.

Lindsay(Posted 2014) [#6]
Which Visual Studio(s) do you have installed?

Can you open the solution directly in VS and build it?

navyRod(Posted 2014) [#7]
Visual Studio Express 2013 with update 2.

No Monkey not making it all the way through to create a solution in these attempts ...

I have tried the auto installer and was able to create a simple 8.1 windows app before these attempts. but was having problems figuring out how to get the W8 phone one to work

I set the path and everything for W8phone and started the install for W8 phone and it looked like ti started Visual Studio download but just quit way short of what I would expect it to take compared to what it took for the Windows 8 version.

Does it have to install Visual Studio two times ? once for the windows 8 and then once again when you go through for windows 8 phone ?

I did manually update Visual Studio 2013 to update 2 -- after that I did have one build version of a simple Drawtext "Hello World" app that I was able to load into VS 2013 and successfully deploy to my phone -- which gave me a nice up for a short bit ... but then getting this compile fail when attempting with both Ted and Jungle Ide.

I tried deleting the build folder on the App and rebuilding but same error something about can't find fxc.exe ??
-------------------------------------

Creating "Release\MonkeyGame.PhoneComponent.unsuccessfulbuild" because "AlwaysCreate" was specified.
FxCompile:
fxc.exe /nologo /E"main" /T ps_4_0_level_9_3 /Fo "C:\Monkey\MonkeyXPro78h\bananas\ferdi\snake\snake.buildv78h\winrt_winphone8\Release\MonkeyGame.PhoneComponent\SimplePixelShader.cso" SimplePixelShader.hlsl

Sub_Zero(Posted 2014) [#8]
You could use the Fully automatic target installer to install win8.1 or win phone 8 targets...

navyRod(Posted 2014) [#9]
should I delete the folders /path's I setup with the auto installer ?
I already have Visual Studio 2013 installed and deployed the simple path with it. Is there a way to tell it to use it vice the Visual Studio that the auto installer installs ?

Sorry for all this ..

Rod...

navyRod(Posted 2014) [#10]
It is not clear to me how it is happening but apparently on some build attempt a project solutions was getting made for the phone build -- opening it in VS 2013 express and retargeting solutions to 8.1 (apparently retargets it to Silverlight)

This seemed to work on a couple of attempts so am pretty happy to see it on my W8 phone :)

Will continue to try to simple cases first and figure out what works and what doesn't

It is still perplexing because when I attempt the build for W8phone the build always tells me it fails but then when I build for W8
somehow a W8phone build is getting created as well.

Thanks,
Rod