simple game tutorial by Jim

Monkey Forums/Monkey Beginners/simple game tutorial by Jim

navyRod(Posted 2014) [#1]
Is there any way to get the complete project download from Jim's YouTube Video series
on simple game tutorial ?

The Lava Game one -- looks like his domain name expired on 5/30 and the path
he linked there in his 13th video to download the project is no longer available .

Thanks,
Rod

Soap(Posted 2014) [#2]
https://twitter.com/nvaderjim

Is his twitter. You could ask him to upload those files to his github. He's no longer active with Monkey.

Capn Lee(Posted 2014) [#3]
here's what I have on this tutorial from way back when

clicky

I would assume that the *.monkey files are versions I manually typed up from the tutorial and not the official correct versions and I take no responsibility for how horribly they may be written (it's been a while) but the data folder should have everything you need to follow the tutorials

navyRod(Posted 2014) [#4]
Thanks. I too found I had downloaded and got the data folder so the same here _ I have typed pretty Much everything from scratch and using most of the data folder item pluss some new personalized items and it is working nice. Wish Jim was still around taking us to the next Level but I am sure I will get there still have plenty and more to explore with the support modules Diddy,fantom engine and iginition X

I was able to get it translated to Android, Flash ,Html5, and Windows 8.1 successfully and posted a cry for help on how to get it to my windows 8.1 phone now -- seems lke it shouldn't be that hard seeing that it works on my pc as an 8.1 app ..

Reaper(Posted 2014) [#5]
Hehe , too late for me, I just followed those through lastweek and remade the gfx myself, and this week Ive taken it to the next level and got it working multiplayer over Lan/ internet and between pc and phone with only minor issues (can crash when one person closes app)

Still new to monkey and never coded anything multiplayer before so Im quite pleased with how its going so far. Im sure the crashes are just my timings on closing sockets etc. Only other issue Ive had is I cant find a way in brl.socket to get Ip address to display it so other user can enter it to connect up, and also Dmz/port forwarding is needed for host but other than that it works :)

navyRod(Posted 2014) [#6]
Awsome ,

I would really like to do the multiplayer networking stuff but am just learning

Is there anything you can share in how to get that working

Thanks
Rod

Reaper(Posted 2014) [#7]
It was benmc`s code here I used, thanks ben , learnt a lot from that :) . Found it in this thread here - [url]http://www.monkey-x.com/Community/posts.php?topic=7698[/url]

Im still quite amazed that I managed to sync it across 4 devices with ease, works from pc-phone and vice versa with either hosting, and all 4 are using the same code to generate the map randomly, just the rnd() seed is synced :)

navyRod(Posted 2014) [#8]
sweet -- thanks for posting that link.

I little bit of fiddling around with IP addresses etc and was able to get this working between laptops and a couple of Android devices

Will have to check my phone as well..

This is Sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet....