Noob: Lost in side scrolling

Monkey Forums/Monkey Beginners/Noob: Lost in side scrolling

GreGorGy(Posted 2014) [#1]
Hello Gaming peoples.

I have been saddled with the task of coding a side-scroller. My daughter has an art project which she wants to take the form of a side scroller. So I found Monkey and it looks decent. But I am lost on where to even start. Are there any good tutorials for what I want to do? I see a collection of YouTube stuff but unfortunately, in South Africa, bandwidth is expensive and going through those could cost an arm and a leg.

Any pointers would be appreciated.

Goodlookinguy(Posted 2014) [#2]
What level are you programming wise (beginner, novice, experienced, etc.)?
What experience do you have with game making?
Do you have a time constraint (and how much time if yes)?

I read what you wrote and without knowing those we couldn't begin to point you anywhere.

erebel55(Posted 2014) [#3]
I would point you to diddy, as I know therevills has started some tutorials around it and it can quicken the process if you are a noob
http://www.monkey-x.com/Community/posts.php?topic=8405

Goodlookinguy(Posted 2014) [#4]
I doubt dropping a module on top of mojo right away is a good idea. Sticking to the basics is best to start.

GreGorGy(Posted 2014) [#5]
Thank you for your responses

I am experienced in programming (Xojo - was RealBasic) but I have zero experience in games. I do have a time constraint - we're looking at the end of June basically.

I saw the Diddy tutorial but the first lines...
Import diddy

had me wondering what diddy was and where to import it from.

Goodlookinguy(Posted 2014) [#6]
I have zero experience in games

we're looking at the end of June basically

That doesn't give much time at all and a side scroller is not an easy task. You might be better off trying a GUI game making system like Construct, GameMaker, or Multimedia Fusion. Not to insult the power of Monkey, but you need more time. Game making itself is an incredibly hard task, let alone learning Monkey's language, kinks, and limitations. Then to pack something like diddy, fantom, or even my XAddon module on top is a very long process.

I'm not saying you shouldn't learn Monkey later, but no experience in game making and a time constraint will likely not bode well for you.

Gerry Quinn(Posted 2014) [#7]
Indeed, game makers tend to come with built-in side scrollers etc. because built-in standard patterns are what they do.

That said, one way to think of a side-scroller is a long map, in which on every update you simply draw the section centred around your ship//runner/whatever. So it's not really that complicated, unless you yourself want to be fancy...

Goodlookinguy(Posted 2014) [#8]
Just a bare basics overview of a platformer...

- Tile maps
- Collision and Response
- Camera
- Jumping & Grounding

There's nothing particularly simple about these. If you have no experience with making games, doing this will not be a walk in the park. You and I might be able to do it because we've done so much other stuff, but for someone who has never done this, it's very difficult. I can attest to it having never made a game only a few years ago, even though I had years of programming experience.

therevills(Posted 2014) [#9]
Diddy has a 2D side scrolling platform game demo in the examples:
https://code.google.com/p/diddy/source/browse/#hg%2Fexamples%2FPlatformer

Or if you didnt want to use a framework here is some stand alone code:

http://www.therevillsgames.com/monkey/scrolling/MonkeyGame.html

But I do agree with GLG, learn to walk before you run. Start with the classic gaming styles: Breakout, Asteroids, Space Invaders, PacMan, Tetris and then Super Mario.

Sensei(Posted 2014) [#10]
Slightly off-topic, but I just wanted to say WOW @therevills.
Now THAT's an example that should be included in Monkey documentation. A basic side scrolling example. All it needs is a bit of in-line documentation! Something like this would go a LONG way to helping beginners with Monkey-X.
Awesome!

therevills(Posted 2014) [#11]
I am planning more tutorials for Diddy, since it comes with a TileD importer, but I could do one in pure MonkeyX...

Lindsay(Posted 2014) [#12]
What Sensei said!! Looking forward to pulling this code apart :) Thanks!