New to Monkey Thinking buying Monkey X Pro

Monkey Forums/Monkey Beginners/New to Monkey Thinking buying Monkey X Pro

Henry Fernandez(Posted 2014) [#1]
Read an article that Monkey X is dead and that Mark stopped updating it.
I was thinking of purchasing Monkey X because really like it but after reading that article got me thinking.I don't wont to waste time or the money if it no longer going to be updated it.
Just want to hear people think about the future of monkey X.

Thanks

MikeHart(Posted 2014) [#2]
http://www.monkey-x.com/Community/posts.php?topic=5548

If you read that topic completely, you know what people think about its future.

Xaron(Posted 2014) [#3]
Well. Mark does this for 3 decades now. Yes that's right THREE DECADES. Don't ever think about he would stop it. ;)

Monkey is not dead and won't be.

Some complain that Mark just makes new stuff from time to time, like:
Blitz3d
BlitzMax
... now Monkey.

But actually I don't see it as different products but just one which evolves over time, like:
Unity 2
Unity 3
...now Unity 4.

Henry Fernandez(Posted 2014) [#4]
Thanks, that what I was hoping to hear!!!

tiresius(Posted 2014) [#5]
Henry welcome aboard (hopefully) can you point a link to the "article"?

Monkey has a long life ahead of it and is relatively future-proof, there are many posts here explaining why if you can dig them up.
The community is quite experienced at programming and familiar with BRL languages, so there isn't a ton of kiddie-excitement going on like some other places. But on the other hand, there is probably no question that stay unanswered for long.

Try out the demo and if you like the language, go for it!

erebel55(Posted 2014) [#6]
Monkey isn't dead, it was a bit of an over reaction on everyone's part. I don't think Mark wants to get a real job after 30 years ;)

Henry Fernandez(Posted 2014) [#7]
yes, here the article
http://www.fantomgl.com/2014/04/27/monkey-x-shows-signs-death/

Goodlookinguy(Posted 2014) [#8]
Yeah, that article was by MikeHart up there. He was one of the people who was overreacting/misinterpreting what Mark said after Mark announced that he was having financial difficulties. Mark never said he'd stop working on Monkey, only Monkey 2 which has yet to be released. Regardless of that, Monkey's main bits are open source, so anyone who wants to could take charge and continue. It's really not as desperate a situation as some attempted to view it as.

MikeHart(Posted 2014) [#9]
Mark said he won't work on new features. He said he will only maintain Monkey like he has in the last updates/months. If you think that this is called an active development of something or that Monkey is still is envolving, then you clearly have a different understanding of his words. But who cares. Not me.

Goodlookinguy(Posted 2014) [#10]
It's maintenance development, which is some of the best kind of development, it leads to stability.

But who cares. Not me.

If you really don't care, you won't bother responding to this post.

Henry Fernandez(Posted 2014) [#11]
Thanks Guys! I am on board, love everything about monkey x that what I was looking for .

AdamRedwoods(Posted 2014) [#12]
Oh, he cares:
http://www.fantomgl.com/2014/05/01/no-death-of-fantomengine-for-monkey-x/

But i also feel his pain. Working on minib3d for so long, and then to see Mark's unfortunate post, made me re-think my situation. If I were to switch, I'd go to Haxe or Java (RoboVM for iOS). But in the meantime, I'm still here working on the next minib3d update.

If someone were deciding on whether to purchase Monkey, i'd say it still has one of the best toolchains in existence. the rapid compilation using the HTML5 target is unprecedented. plus, for newcomers to coding the language can't be beat (no semicolons!) but offers nice additions for advanced users (generics!).

Snader(Posted 2014) [#13]
Buy it!

Goodlookinguy(Posted 2014) [#14]
@AdamRedwoods I don't feel his pain at all. I've been working on my gigantic library / framework addition since Monkey started in 2011 (I'm pretty sure it's larger than fantom and about on par with diddy). Plus the other large projects I've done (MiniC N.Edition+Bindings, MoreNumbers). I regret nothing and am not going to halt anything because of this. If it still works and does what's expected of it, then I don't really see what the problem is.

c.k.(Posted 2014) [#15]
Haxe looks really good. What's its problem?!

Pharmhaus(Posted 2014) [#16]
Monkey X and Haxe are just different kind of 'seeds' that will grow into different kind of 'trees' over time.
This is hard for people to realize as both look 'tree-ish' when they take the first look.

The higer you go to build your stuff, the sooner you realize that the 'leaves' are different and that the 'fruit' every one of them will grow is different too.
Monkey X is my language of choice because I know the creator of Monkey X has grown great trees in the past - with new innovation and improvement (and due to change also setbacks) - and I believe that this story will continue in the future.

I also don't think that any of them is right or wrong, just different - and everyone has to pick what kind of fruit they are satisfied with.

Goodlookinguy(Posted 2014) [#17]
The Haxe language feels like a giant clusterf**k of a multitude of languages. Especially C++, Java, and ActionScript though.

What is this code and what does this code do?
abstract Mile(Float) {
    public function new(v:Float) this = v;
    @:to public inline function toKilometer():Kilometer return (new Kilometer(this / 0.62137));
}

If you were aiming for a language that has a design that only someone obsessed with complexity and getting as far away from human tongue as possible would like, then I suppose Haxe is the kind of programming language you want.