very new learner here -- Android assistance needed

Monkey Forums/Monkey Beginners/very new learner here -- Android assistance needed

navyRod(Posted 2014) [#1]
Okay not sure if I should post this here or on Android.
But since I am just beginning will post here.

It sucks to be a new beginner and having to ask a lot of questions so I apologize for that.
Everyone has to start some where though.

I appreciate all the help I have gotten to my questions so far.

I admit I get over anxious and should scour the documentation to try to find an
answer before I post on here and I will try to be better on that.

One way I am starting to find out is to search the forum using the slow method on
search and just search for 'a a' in the search box in a particular topic area (i.e Android). This brings me up a huge list that I can scroll through.

For this particular question I just wanted some simple info on the steps needed
to side load an app to an Android device just to start off and not worry about
publishing it yet (have a ways before I can do that I am sure)

The help section for target SDK's lets me know I need the Android SDK etc but no
info on how/where to get them. I can do that myself but think some beginners
might not.

I have even purchased the Monkey game Development Beginner's guide and
chapter 4 ( The chain reaction chapter for Android) does a great job in explaining the
app but it doesn't explain the basic process of compiling the App and how to get it on
your device . There is a couple of short paragraphs but I think being a beginners book
it should provide more info.

What I think would be great if there is or if someone could develop YouTube video 's
or info files on here that detail the process for just getting your App on a local device
at a beginner level for each of the devices -- Android, Windows Phone etc .. vice
publishing -- then when the newbie such as myself :) is ready he can graduate to try
actually go on to publishing the app from there.

I guess what I am asking is please consider the new users who have never done any of this before .

I do appreciate this forum and the great support I have gotten already , I would hope
that in time I might also be able to contribute to it and help newbie's such as myself in the future.

Thanks
Rod

navyRod(Posted 2014) [#2]
FYI...

I have started going through the invaderJim's YouTube video's and it is awesome .
Hope someone can assist with creating some simple basic video's that I describe above like Jim has done.

Thanks again

ziggy(Posted 2014) [#3]
I'm making an automated android setup on next Jungle Ide version, but if you need it NOW, just follow this instructions:

http://www.monkey-x.com/docs/html/Target%20SDKs_The%20Android%20target.html

The named required SDK marked in red are links to official download sources. so you can see where to get them, just click it and look for the appropiate download.

navyRod(Posted 2014) [#4]
Thanks ziggy -- just saw the post about your automated SDK's will definitely check them out I have downloaded the free version
of Jungle but have not got it configured correctly yet ? I know I will be purchasing this though soon.

Raph(Posted 2014) [#5]
The steps are

1) Get the Android toolchain installed. If it works, you should see Android as a target in the pulldown menu.
2) In the Android settings, you may need to set your device to connect as a camera.
3) Connect the device.
4) Hit compile -- if you have a device connected, it'll sideload it and run it. That's it.

Danilo(Posted 2014) [#6]
For new devices, you may need to switch it to developer mode. Had to do this with my Nexus 7 2013:
- "Go to Settings -> About tablet. Tap on 'Build number' 7 times to enable developer mode."
This enables a new menu with developer settings. Go to this menu and enable USB-Debugging.