Using TileD for Tilemaps

Monkey Forums/Monkey Beginners/Using TileD for Tilemaps

zardon(Posted 2014) [#1]
I programmed a game in cocos2d 2.x for iOS 6 but then iOS7 SDK is now forced and coupled with the new 3.x it totally broke everything and I'm rewriting stuff from the ground up -- now I'm thinking I would like to make it cross platform on Android, iPhone and Ouya.

I'm asking some pixel artists for quotes on tilemaps, and I would use TileD -- but can I use the outputted tilemaps/data from TileD in Monkey -- or is it recommended to use something else?

The ideas is there is a map of a isometric city and you can move the screen with your finger around the map and click on relevant buildings.

MikeHart(Posted 2014) [#2]
Monkey does not support any external tools out of the box. And there won't be anything coming from that direction.

But people have created their own support, so it is doable. Same goes for bitmap fonts, guis, box2d support.

therevills(Posted 2014) [#3]
Diddy has a Tiled renderer and I think it supports isometric... but you will have to do the collisions yourself.

V. Lehtinen(Posted 2014) [#4]
Hi Zardon.

I wrote an importer for TileD tilemaps, but it doesn't support zlib/gzip nor Base64 compressed tile data...but it collects all the data that is in the tilemap. You could easily implement isometric rendering - and rendering overall. :D

Hope this helps:
http://www.monkey-x.com/Community/posts.php?topic=4125&post=86378

EDIT: Ok, never mind my code. Diddy did do it better!

zardon(Posted 2014) [#5]
Ok, I will investigate this further -- if its no good I'll probably stick with cocos2d