begininng newbie -- trying to get things setup :(

Monkey Forums/Monkey Beginners/begininng newbie -- trying to get things setup :(

navyRod(Posted 2014) [#1]
OK -- I am just a newbie and pretty much clueless but can code a bit so take it easy on me please :)

First I want thank you to Mark for creating all the great products he has made. I have purchased all of them over the last few years.

Unfortunately although I had a lot of ambitious intent I only was able to dabble occasionally iin this stuff.

Now I have purchased this and trying to actually get somewhere with it instead of my occasional dabbling with all of it in the past

enough ramble stuff ... I just barely got this and am able to compile for the HTML stuff but would like to try to get it working for all the others as I have windows 8 pc and windows phone and xbox etc.

I tried the link on getting openAL that is included in the stuff needed for Windows compile and it is broken .. I went searching on the web and as typical found a link to
supposedly download openAL I guess version is 2 and yes to my great joy ended up downloading a bunch of stuff I didn't want even though I tried carefully to unclick
all the buttons those auto downloaders have to trick you.

I went through and uninstall most of what I could find but I know those companies are tricky and take advantage of there great technical ability to hijack our computers
so not sure what is still out there that might come back and bite me.

That is is biggest gripe I have about the web is someone always trying to put stuff on your PC you don't want

Ok sorry ... rambling again -- bottom line is I don't even know if I have openAL installed
I try compiling with Monkey to windows target again and it still says I have issues

I tried opening monster blab solution into Visual Studio and it compiles but says I am still missing a dependent dll -- openAL

Any Help would greatly be appreciated.

Also I have several versions of visual studio installed -- express for Web -- express for desktop etc.

Is that going to give me problems -- i.e causing the props not found error ?

Thanks again Rod.

ziggy(Posted 2014) [#2]
Download Monkey X free and it should install OpenAL

dawlane(Posted 2014) [#3]
There is an OpenAl installer called oainstall.exe in MonkeyXPro,version>\targets\glfw. If it fails then you can use OpenAL-soft from here or here. You will have to build it.

navyRod(Posted 2014) [#4]
Thank You for quick response