What

Monkey Forums/Monkey Beginners/What

Boulderdash(Posted 2014) [#1]
I tried using Windows (XP) Paint for saving an image for my first Monkey creation.

It wont run because Windows Paint doesn't save the PNG in a way Monkey can use it !

What image manipulation program would I use, at this stage I just want something simple like paint so I can cut and paste images and save them.

What program do other Monkey Coders use ?

MikeHart(Posted 2014) [#2]
Inkscape Gimp Photoshop MangaStudio5

Boulderdash(Posted 2014) [#3]
Gimp wont install on My XP sp2 , plus I just want to do simple copy and paste etc.

I found Power Paint, seems easy to use, but black box blackground on sprites, I just need to figure out how to do transparency ?

rIKmAN(Posted 2014) [#4]
Worst thread title ever!

I'm sure Paint Shop Pro is free now?

Raul(Posted 2014) [#5]
Paint.net?

dawlane(Posted 2014) [#6]
Gimp wont install on My XP sp2
Then why not you update to service pack 3. The latest version will work then. If you have the 64bit version of XP then your out of luck as there is no service pack 3. Or you could search one of the FTP mirror sites that are listed closest to your location at www.gimp.org/downloads, and download an earlier version; 2.4 or 2.6 should work.

I'm sure Paint Shop Pro is free now?
If it isn't then it should be. There has never been a good version of that for a long time.

AdamRedwoods(Posted 2014) [#7]
Sumo Paint
http://www.sumopaint.com/

Krita, but it doesn't seem to work with Wacom tablets (Qt 4 ughhhh), at least not mine.
http://www.kritastudio.com/desktop.html

benmc(Posted 2014) [#8]
For pixel art, I've been using Pickle Editor and it saves to PNG nicely. Has a free trial.

http://www.pickleeditor.com/

Xyle(Posted 2014) [#9]
If not photoshop, then whatever it takes to get gimp going. The only downside to gimp is non-layer attributes like photoshop, but it does do image manipulation without interpolation a lot better than photoshop so no blurries when scaling or rotating!

Just my thoughts though!

Boulderdash(Posted 2014) [#10]
Thanks for all the replies, lots of advice to read through :-)

It goes without saying I need to update my Windows Laptop, but will be awhile, since I just purchased a Mac Book (OS:Mavricks) / Android Tablet & Purchased Monkey Pro & Paid for Google Play Dev Account to get myself started off on my mission to develop cross platform Monkey games/Apps and by no means was it cheap ! on the plus side the Windows Laptop will be a lot cheaper than the Apple one.

So far everything is coming together nicely, All the setting up made me dizzy for awhile, but im getting there... i'm planning on using MonkeyPro for all my future projects.

[ps: there seems to be a bug in the forum where my topic titles are shortened to the first word ?]

EdzUp(Posted 2014) [#11]
Update to sp3 if its still available, tbh gimp should run on anything

MikeHart(Posted 2014) [#12]
Gimp runs great on OSX.

Prime_8(Posted 2014) [#13]
paint.net .. via a plugin (has many game and art related plugins ) runs all my old adobe plugins .

PNG , DDS and a hand full of normal and RGBA manipulation plugins / tools make it very handy for games on a windows rig .