I am impressed!!

Monkey Forums/Monkey Beginners/I am impressed!!

Xyle(Posted 2014) [#1]
Damn near in tears on how well this worked!

I wrote a game in about 2 weeks in Java, spent another 2 weeks almost getting it ported to android when it struck me about how much time and effort it was going to go into porting it to Android and then Iphone.

Thats when I remembered reading about Monkey X from a while back on the Blitz forums, so I immediately downloaded it and got it running. I got the Android version up and running in about 2 days.

For the Iphone version, I had to go buy a new Iphone5c and a new Macbook Pro. Within 6 hours, I had everything set up and the game running on my Iphone.

This is exactly what I was hoping for and to think it only cost some pocket change that ultimately saved me weeks (months?) of learning how to port an android game over to the iphone.

Very well done and I thank you guys for this!!

Now to figure out how to publish these over to the stores!
:)

Boulderdash(Posted 2014) [#2]
Im with you on that, I just purchased MonkeyPro

Have started my first Android/Desktop/Flash/IOS game, two hours in got a shoot-em-up on the way, will upload when its complete !

Dang I wish there was something like this years ago.

computercoder(Posted 2014) [#3]
Well, if you were looking for just across desktops (Mac/Win/Lin), BRL had BlitzMAX. I think it released somewhere around 2004/2005. I bought it soon after I had the money for it. I LOVED (and still do) BlitzMAX! Monkey-X is equally awesome - although I had to get used to Monkey-X ways vs BlitzMAX ways.

I've always enjoyed the idea that I could write the code once and with little or no changes, have it compile and perform nearly equal on ALL supported platforms. OUYA was a fine addition to the Monkey-X target set since I've purchased Monkey-X.

Xyle(Posted 2014) [#4]
I absolutely loved Blitz3d and Blitzmax (Still do also!!), the problem I had with these was deployment. Now days you can look at deploying games written for desktops or laptops across quite a few Suppliers like Steam, but a few years ago I got into Flash and Java for the purpose of deploying across the web. Who knows, someday I may even venture back to Blitzmax, but right now I am looking for my best chance to make something sellable so I can stop unclogging toilets for a living!

:)

paulscottrobson(Posted 2014) [#5]
A new iPhone5c and MacBook Pro are pocket change ? Rich man ;-)

Remarkable piece of software isn't it ?

Xyle(Posted 2014) [#6]
Lol, that was sarcastic.

Thats a whole lot of toilets to unclog to pay for those things!!

Also, the publishing went through, just gotta wait for Apple to ok it. That was a hair pulling experience! Took me about 6 hours to finally get the icons right in Xcode so it would stop kicking out errors. I had to change the target to 6 from 4.3 and use the icon assets catalog. Otherwise, trying to get the naming correct was impossible.

Android was definitely a lot simpler. Took me less than an hour to get that through and it got put on the store right away. Of course, I had to upload 2 newer versions right away because of mistakes, lol.

computercoder(Posted 2014) [#7]
Hey, at least you got it published! I'm on a do-or-die run right now. It'll be a few weeks yet before I release my game. Good job getting it this far!