Flash Target and Databases

Monkey Forums/Monkey Beginners/Flash Target and Databases

vicente(Posted 2014) [#1]
Hi,

I'm thinking to start using Monkey for my new Facebook game. Our company is making decisions about what tools we have for this job, so what we have right now is: Starling, Flixel, some Haxe frameworks... and Monkey.

I have used Monkey in the past just for learning. I bought a copy and never used since then.. If I remember, it was v55 or v65.

I really want to try Monkey, makes me confortable... but.. the game in question is supposed to support 100k+ players (it's a similar game to Criminal Case), and I did a quick search about databases, sql... and not a single strong anwser about stable database access

Did I miss something? Can Monkey be my best tool for this job?

nikoniko(Posted 2014) [#2]
vicente wrote:
I did a quick search about databases, sql... and not a single strong anwser about stable database access

Do you mean database for game's client? Or game server?

vicente(Posted 2014) [#3]
For game client. There will be no "game server", just a optimized database (propably mysql) and the client will make common queries

rIKmAN(Posted 2014) [#4]
There is a module for SQLite on the forum but it is only for the GLFW target so doesn't help you much with Flash.

I would love Monkey/Mark to "officially" implement SQLite across all targets, it really is needed.

Goodlookinguy(Posted 2014) [#5]
There will be no "game server", just a optimized database (propably mysql) and the client will make common queries

Not to sound rude, but do you know what you're doing? That's a security hazard waiting to happen. Unless single player, the player should never directly make queries to a database. You're inviting in people like me when I was a teenager to crack your system to expose how flawed your security is. And if you don't think someone will do it, you're wrong. When I was a teen I would get board and seek out to break systems like this to waste some time. Take this from someone who's cracked security systems, written security systems, and ran an online game server. Just don't do what you're thinking of doing because the security hazard is preventable.

vicente(Posted 2014) [#6]
@rIKmAN, yeah SQLite works for single player with perfection :D

@Goodlookinguy the client will access a REST webservice and make all securty checks, it's not a DIRECT access to the database.... but anyway, about the subject, what my options with monkey?

nikoniko(Posted 2014) [#7]
vicente wrote:
what my options with monkey?

Monkey-X allows to build a client app in 3-tier system using tcp/http or udp to communication with app server and storing a bit of data on the local client device.