Beginner

Monkey Forums/Monkey Beginners/Beginner

Pierre-Armand(Posted 2014) [#1]
Hello i'm coming from the C/C++ Language and i'm currently looking at Monkey for quick Game Prototyping. I've many questions to ask you before starting to learn it:

- Can we use an other IDE than Ted. Because there is a lots of lacks in it(no line numbers, no good syntax coloration (just one color...), not as much parameters and no short cuts on mac)
- Can we declare pointers ?
- Can we allocate and deallocate memory manually ?
- Can we get acces to multi touch for mobile devices ?
- Is there a good sound API (that allow us to get acces to the frequency of a sound for instance)
- Is there a GUI api ?
- Is there a 3D api ?
- Is the language well supported ?

Thank you.

Best regards.

PS: sorry for my english

Goodlookinguy(Posted 2014) [#2]
1) http://www.monkey-x.com/Community/posts.php?topic=7873&page=1
2) No (yes if using native code on certain targets)
3) No (yes if using native code on certain targets)
4) Yes, up to 32 fingers if the device supports it
5) No (possible if using native code)
6) There are lots of different GUI APIs, a few popular ones are JungleGUI and MyGUI
7) http://www.monkey-x.com/Community/posts.php?topic=6206&page=first
8) The language has been maintained for at least 3 years now and other products by Blitz have been maintained for several years now.

Pierre-Armand(Posted 2014) [#3]
Okay thank you, for quick reply.

And a last question: What is the real advantage of using Monkey compare to Standards like Unity, C++ plus SDL or OpenGL or even Flash with as3 (wich are crossplatform too) ?

Thank you.

Goodlookinguy(Posted 2014) [#4]
It depends on your preference.

As a personal opinion, I don't care for Unity's workflow and as for C++, AS3, and others, I can write in all of them. It's just a matter of what feels comfortable. I have an easier time reading Monkey code than C++ and AS3.

AdamRedwoods(Posted 2014) [#5]
Can we allocate and deallocate memory manually ?

No, but you can use DataBuffers for large binary memory storage.

What is the real advantage of using Monkey compare to Standards like Unity, C++ plus SDL or OpenGL or even Flash with as3 (wich are crossplatform too) ?

many different answers to this question, very subjective.
i feel Monkey's advantage is that it is a more readable language. No semicolons; or brackets { } everywhere. Plus, should a new target platform take rise (Steam OS for example), Monkey is flexible enough to adapt to it.

Pierre-Armand(Posted 2014) [#6]
Okay, thx :p I'll try to do a game with it. I hope i'll find it as a good option :p

Best regards

Gerry Quinn(Posted 2014) [#7]
I think the main attractions for me would be:
- hassle-free cross platform ability
- decent OO language, easy to code what you want
- it's a pure 'language' solution, if you don't like scripting systems and such getting in the way
- mojo provides basic graphical abilities on all platforms

If GUI is very important to you, I think you will find the ones available a bit immature. But for games this isn't usually an issue - you generally don't WANT them to look like office software!

Doing a game as you intend is a great way to learn about a new language.

Pierre-Armand(Posted 2014) [#8]
Okay, I think I'll add this to my toolback :p. I've started to read the book from packtpublishing what do you think about it ?

Prime_8(Posted 2014) [#9]
i have been using it for short while , coming from c++ / MinGW coding .
it is very comfortable / easy to read and work with .
Jungle IDE has been the best of what i tested so i got the 6 month support version for now .

just seems more fun , even on work tasks .

Beaker(Posted 2014) [#10]
Monkey advantages over Unity:
Much smaller build sizes.
Much easier 2d.
Better web target support (html5/flash).
Easier to extend with native code.

Unity has a lot of its own advantages, but I like both.