Success with a game on multiple targets?

Monkey Forums/Monkey Beginners/Success with a game on multiple targets?

Zer0]{elvin(Posted 2014) [#1]
Hi everyone!

I have been using Blitz products since BlitzBASIC. I've used BlitzPlus, Blitz3D, Sprite Candy, and now BlitzMAX for my current project. I'm considering moving to Monkey for future development. I've played with the GLFW and HTML-5 demos and tied a bit of code myself, but haven't bought it yet.

I'm wondering how everyone is finding it for making a game for more than one platform. Some of my future projects would start on one platform and then have sequels or expansions on others. Here are some of the requirements...how successful do you think these would be if done in Monkey?

1. Flash game at 800x600 resolution for Flash portals, expansion or stand-alone version for Windows desktop. Desktop version would have higher resolution and expanded sound, but the game would be essentially identical.

2. Flash game at 800x600 with scrolling tiled environments. Desktop stand-alone version. Anyone having success doing scrolling games for Flash and desktop with Monkey?

2. Phone/tablet game for Android (and maybe later iOS). Scrolling tiled environment, IAP functionality, ads functionality. Possible Flash or Desktop version of this. I've seen a lot of posts about problems with the IAP and ad features, and I think those are essential for a tablet/phone target game. Have these things been worked out?

I'll still be finishing up my current project for the next 6 months or so, but am thinking Monkey will be the best solution for the games after that.

Anyone have any feedback on this? Specifically if they have done games with functionality like the ones I mentioned? Any help really appreciated :)

Ian

Gerry Quinn(Posted 2014) [#2]
The multi-target stuff works fine. Maybe design your layout to adapt to portrait or landscape. But the IAP, ads, etc. are always going to be target specific - no real way around that.

Zer0]{elvin(Posted 2014) [#3]
Thanks Gerry!

Anyone else have any success (or failure) stories?

rIKmAN(Posted 2014) [#4]
I have a success story.....I found autofit - I recommend you do the same :)

As Gerry says, ads and IAP will be target specific but there are some built in BRL modules for admob, ios/android store and other community modules around the forums for target specific stuff.

Zer0]{elvin(Posted 2014) [#5]
I will check out Autofit for sure! I've never done anything with ads (don't like them) but it seems you have to for that market.

Anyone had success with a flash and desktop version of the same game? Any gotchas with that or is it fairly straightforward?