IDE solutions.

Monkey Forums/Monkey Beginners/IDE solutions.

Paul - Taiphoz(Posted 2014) [#1]
As we all know and as "you" the new user may not know, the monkey default IDE called TED is rather basic and is missing some of the more modern and common features that some of you may have become accustomed to.

But it's not a total loss, as with any good community we have developers here who saw this issue and did something about it by creating their own custom IDE's, some are better than others for various reasons but I am sure that listed bellow will be a solution that will fit your requirements.

What follows are my recommendations, other people may have a different view from me so I encourage you to look at them all and make your own mind up.

Quick View
IDE/Editors---------|Ted----|Jungle-|Mollusk|Jump---|TextMte|Sublme2|BBEdit-|TWrangl|Note++-|
** Key Features ****************************************************************************|
Syntax Highlight----|Yes----|Yes----|Yes----|Yes----|Yes----|Yes----|Yes----|Yes----|Yes----|
Contextual Help-----|Yes----|Yes----|Yes----|??-----|Yes----|No-----|Yes----|No-----|No-----|
Projects/Solutions--|Yes----|Yes----|No-----|??-----|Yes----|??-----|??-----|??-----|No-----|
Auto Complete-------|No-----|Yes----|Yes----|??-----|Yes----|Yes----|No-----|No-----|Yes----|
Intellisense--------|No-----|Yes----|No-----|??-----|Yes----|Yes----|Yes----|No-----|No-----|
** Platforms *******************************************************************************|
Windows-------------|Yes----|Yes----|Yes----|Yes----|No-----|Yes----|No-----|No-----|Yes----|
Mac-----------------|Yes----|No-----|Yes----|Yes----|Yes----|Yes----|Yes----|Yes----|No-----|
Linux---------------|Yes----|No-----|No-----|No-----|No-----|Yes----|No-----|No-----|No-----|

Feel free to point out any error's or anything I should add, I know Jungles list of features is huge and swamps the others so trying to keep the above list short and listing just the major key things people are looking for. I would be happy to add things like Notpade++ and Eclipse but I don't use them enough so if anyone wants to post their abilities I will add them as well.

Dedicated Monkey IDE's

Mollusk

Price : $10 USD
Mollusk is a really solid and functional IDE and adds a few of the key features that TED is missing, and it comes in at the lowest Price point which makes it a very appealing solution for low budget users, it also comes with a handy demo which you can use to Eval the software.

Mollusk also comes with a bonus Bundle pack for small teams containing 5 licences at a discounted price which you can find via the Mollusk website.

JumpIDE

Price : 19 USD
Jump is another very good IDE a little like Mollusk but with more functionality when it comes to docable windows, again it brings some of the features Ted is missing like code folding which we all know is handy with larger projects.

I like Jump, but for me Mollusk just feels better to use.

Jungle

JungleIDE Lite : Free
JungleIDE + Lifetime Updates : 65.00 Euro
JungleIDE + 6 Months Of Updates : 30.00 Euro
Jungle on CD ROM : 75 Euro
Jungle IDE is by far the most feature rich and complete of the IDE's , as a result it demands a higher price, you know the old saying, you get what you pay for, and its true in this regard, for the Princely sum of 65 Euro's you will get the amazing IDE as well as a life time supply of updates, or for 75 Euros you can get it Hard Copy in CD Rom format.

For those of us who do not have a lot of disposable income Jungle offers a 30 Euro deal which gives you Jungle and then 6 months worth of updates, which can later be upgraded to lifetime worth of updates when you have more spare cash.

And for those of you who wish to try it out without paying out anything it offers a slimmed down version which is still more feature complete than TED although it does have some stipulations which you should check out on the Jungle Demo/Lite website. .

Additional Editors.

Notepad++

Website : https://bitbucket.org/Goodlookinguy/notepad-udl-collection
Author : Goodlookinguy
@Goodlooking, iv not used this myself enough to comment on it, if you want to write a little blurb I will edit this and insert it. something descriptive for people to get a handle on what it does..

Additional Information on Notepad++ and how to make it build your code on an F6 press can be found in this thread, on post 51

Sublime 2

Thread : http://www.monkey-x.com/Community/posts.php?topic=593&page=first
Editor : http://www.sublimetext.com
Package : https://github.com/gingerbeardman/monkey.sublime
Author : Matt (I think ?)
@Matt if you would like to add a comment about it that describes it for the new people please post a little reply and I will update this post.

TextMate, Sublime Text 2, BBEdit, TextWrangler

Author : Matt Sephton

Others

There are other solutions, I cant find the links at the moment but some one has done an Eclipse plugin for monkey, and as I recall there is also something for Notepad++ some where so if none of the above options suit your needs then try looking a little deeper there are other's out there.

Hope this helps.

Dabz(Posted 2014) [#2]
Proper bonus that Mollusk is for OSX too... Nice share! ;)

Dabz

P.S. Also agree that JungleIDE is a top job, but, if I had to choose between using an extra OS layer on top of OSX and paying 6 month subs, to, erm, not... Well, I'd rather not! :D *Just being honest Ziggy matey*

Dabz

maltic(Posted 2014) [#3]
I can personally vouch for Jungle IDE. I have a lifetime licence, I find it to be excellent. While it isn't as polished as say Visual Studio or XCode (what do you want, its a one man job) it is extremely competent. I understand why it is Windows only, but I feel as though porting it to Mono might not be as hard as it seems.

ziggy(Posted 2014) [#4]
Post edited as it is no longer relevant

time-killer-games(Posted 2014) [#5]
Wow I didn't know Jungle was this expensive but it's still just a matter of time before I can put my money towards it. Thanks for sharing! =)

Goodlookinguy(Posted 2014) [#6]
If anyone's wondering, I made the Notepad++ UDL: https://bitbucket.org/Goodlookinguy/notepad-udl-collection I only use it when I'm trying to quickly look at something. I don't use it for actively editing files. As for another one, the sublime Monkey package plugin: http://www.monkey-x.com/Community/posts.php?topic=593&page=first

Also with regards to Jungle's pricing, you gotta spend money to make money. I think the price is more than fair considering the support and active development as well as the extensive list of features that make doing things so much quicker.

skape(Posted 2014) [#7]
I will take this chance to explain that I'm working on a Mac Os editor that hopefully will support Monkey. It's a bare-bones one, and it'll take a lot to be finished, so don't hold your breath. A bit more here: http://www.lemonbytes.com/jck-framework/

As primarily a Mac user at this point, I use (and like) Mollusk for Monkey. However, I will certainly try any Mac compatible solution you put out ziggy! I used to use Jungle on Windows. :)

Paul - Taiphoz(Posted 2014) [#8]
Updated the OP with the additional information provided by glg.. I will try and keep the OP maintained as much as possible.

ziggy(Posted 2014) [#9]
@Paul Taiphoz: Please, can you also update the Jungle Ide thing? It's not correct as it is now. see this: http://www.monkey-x.com/Community/posts.php?topic=7873&post=77483

Paul - Taiphoz(Posted 2014) [#10]
Updated it to try and be more clear about the issue as i see it.

ziggy(Posted 2014) [#11]
Post edited as it is no longer relevant.

Danilo(Posted 2014) [#12]
Such a topic could be made sticky, so it is easy to find for new users.

But it should not contain any opinion, it should just list facts:
Name, Website, Author, supported OS, maybe Price (not sure, as we can see the price ourselves on the websites)

For example, JungleIDE has different editions and prices, so just writing 65,-Euro is not correct.

Paul - Taiphoz(Posted 2014) [#13]
Ziggy my comments are true and the rename of trans is what I am referring to, but that only highlights the issue and there is no telling what changes mark may make in the future, next time it may not be an easy fix and people will then be left with an IDE they cant use without forking out even more money.

As for the post having opinion in it, 5th line down.
What follows are my recommendations, other people may have a different view from me so I encourage you to look at them all and make your own mind up.

I make it clear right at the start of the post that what follows are "MY" recommendations and that "OTHERS" may have differing views, so I see no reason to change anything else, Ziggy made a fair point in his request above about my wording being unclear so I fixed it to make it more clear.

muruba(Posted 2014) [#14]
I don't mean to sound too harsh but without Jungle IDE Monkey would be 100% useless. Monkey is a truly amazing technology but feels like an amateur weekend project if you run a native editor.

ziggy(Posted 2014) [#15]

Paul - Taiphoz(Posted 2014) [#16]
I will not argue with you ziggy, I have a lot of respect for your software, I will say that the trans change DID even if temporarily make jungle non functional, the fact that this time the fix was a simple one means nothing.

All you need to do is give people a way to upgrade from a 6 month to lifetime, at least that way people wont have the feeling of wasting money, or feel like they are trapped in a forever increasing treadmill of year long updates.

You also seem to think that I have written a personal spot about jungle and not others, when in fact the very first line about Mollusk is entirely all my personal opinion, the fact that you seem to think otherwise is simply because my view of jungle's pricing is negative, its clear from my post that I have a very high regard and opinion of Jungle as software again my personal opinion, so you cant have it both ways you cant complain that I have something nagative to say about the price and then not complain when I say

Jungle is a bit of a complex beast and one that I both love and hate in equal measure, feature wise Jungle blows the other two IDE's out the water and on a pure feature to feature comparison Jungle would win hands down, my main issue with it is its pricing models, so if money for you is no issue then ignore what follows and go buy it, you will not regret it.

Hell if you read it again you will see it's the only IDE I actually tell people to go BUY!

MikeHart(Posted 2014) [#17]
@Paul: As it seems that Ziggy is rather picky about what oppinions people have about his product, maybe it is better that you remove it from your list? ;-)

Paul - Taiphoz(Posted 2014) [#18]
tell you what Mike, I have a lot of respect for you as well, and given you seem like a neutral third party I will ask you this, your answer will dictate what I do.

If I wrote a review about fantomEngine in which I stated without a doubt that its brilliant software but that I had a small issue with the amount of money you ask for it, would you post in the thread and ask me to change my post ?

Essentially censorship ? no?

ziggy(Posted 2014) [#19]

Paul - Taiphoz(Posted 2014) [#20]
Initially you pointed out that my comments on the pricing was not True, this was not intentional as you well know that was nothing more than a problem with my wording/syntax if you will, which I fixed because you made a valid point.

So now you should have no issues, or have I missed something.

Gerry Quinn(Posted 2014) [#21]
I don't understand muruba's comment. Jungle is very nice, but at the end of the day the IDE is not going to make or break a project. And I do not assess the worth of a project by what it looks like in the editor. The only thing that the customer sees is the app you upload.

ziggy(Posted 2014) [#22]

Paul - Taiphoz(Posted 2014) [#23]
I have re-worded the paragraph to make things as clear as possible, and I have amended the licence restriction comment to also be more clear.

As I have said a number of times, I absolutely love Jungle, I have never said a bad thing against the ide, my only issue has only ever been the lack of an upgrade so the fact that you are actually making one or looking into one is brilliant news to me and when its available will instantly change my opinion on the matter.

I know I can annoy people some times, I tend to say whats on my mind with little if any social filtering, the upside is that people always know what I think, the downside is that some people can take offence to it and or take it the wrong way either way I mean no offence.

ziggy(Posted 2014) [#24]

MikeHart(Posted 2014) [#25]
@Paul, if you were just complaining about the price, I would not ask to change it. Your oppinion is your oppinion and everyone is free to voice it in a respectful manner. Even if you state things you would not like, I would not try to make you change it.
If someone states false information, I might try to correct it. Maybe, I don't know. I guess it depends on the loss/gain I would value in that.

Paul - Taiphoz(Posted 2014) [#26]
Added a little Quick view list, would love some suggestions if any for Key features I may have missed, trying to keep the list as focused on important core features to try and keep it clean and short.

MikeHart(Posted 2014) [#27]
@Ziggy: Just being curious. If Mark decides to rename/restructure the Monkey content (different folders/locations), would Pauls version still work with your workaround or is everything hardcoded down from the top monkey folder?
If you don't have it already included in Jungle, I recomment to have these paths editable inside the options of your app. It is common practise regarding editors/IDEs and imho it makes sense.

Paul - Taiphoz(Posted 2014) [#28]
That's my big fear rofl I love jungle would suck if mark changes something before I'm able to upgrade.

And I think the answer is yes I'd be screwed, if for example Mark changes the trans or lets say changes the parameters it takes I am fairly sure this is all hard coded in Jungle as I cant find a config for it, if there were a config I wouldn't need to keep renaming transcc to trans every time I update, why the hell did he do that anyway whats the cc all about I never did figure it out.

Anyway.... I'm just happy that I have it working for the moment.

ziggy(Posted 2014) [#29]

ziggy(Posted 2014) [#30]
@Paul: upgrade licenses to convert Jungle Ide Starter to Jungle IDE lifetime updates is now available at the jungleide.com website. It can be purchased from the Store page (at the bottom right corner) or at the "my licenses and downloads" section of the customer's section.

Paul - Taiphoz(Posted 2014) [#31]
That is good news not only for me but I am sure there are others who will also take that upgrade option and it gives more flexibility to your users which is always a good thing.

Updated the OP to reflect the changes I will keep updating the OP as new information becomes available, so anyone else, Grudlux, Matt or anyone else IDE related feel free to post here and I will check and update where appropriate.

muruba(Posted 2014) [#32]

I don't understand muruba's comment. Jungle is very nice, but at the end of the day the IDE is not going to make or break a project. And I do not assess the worth of a project by what it looks like in the editor. The only thing that the customer sees is the app you upload.

While I agree that "The only thing that the customer sees is the app you upload." - it takes a lot of unnecessary courage to achieve anything using native editor.

God, ot is 2014, this editor is VB 1980. I programmed better editors while a student in Delphi in 2000.

I would never demand a better one from the monkey creators because I think 100$ per license is not a real sustainable business model and I am happy with the way it is, but I would never accept the fact this is a good workable editor. It is not. TED is one crappy, lame, embarrassing piece of software.

Paul - Taiphoz(Posted 2014) [#33]
I may be wrong but are you talking about Jungle or Ted, because it seems to me like you said Jungle but are actually talking about Ted, please clarify.

muruba(Posted 2014) [#34]

I may be wrong but are you talking about Jungle or Ted, because it seems to me like you said Jungle but are actually talking about Ted, please clarify.

Paul, I am talking about both: TED (native) editor is a joke and embarrassment to 21st century IDEs. Jungle - is the only hope that a team can actually deliver something useful in Monkey while staying sane.

Shinkiro1(Posted 2014) [#35]
I have used TextMate on OSX and while it is not on par with an IDE it's definetly workable with it.

There is a list of some editors with feature comparison here:
http://www.gingerbeardman.com/monkey/
You might want to include these in the chart.

The advantage a texteditor like textmate or sublime have over IDEs is that they feel way faster to work/navigate around with and they don't get in your way. And the limited autocomplete they provide is enough, but that's mainly due to monkeys limited set of modules. In a huge project with a dozen modules you haven't written yourself an IDE with proper autocomplete is a must though (to stay sane ^^).

Paul - Taiphoz(Posted 2014) [#36]
Paul, I am talking about both: TED (native) editor is a joke and embarrassment to 21st century IDEs. Jungle - is the only hope that a team can actually deliver something useful in Monkey while staying sane.

I could agree that TED really is a let down, but I think as I am sure I have stated in the past it's probably exactly what Mark asked for and paid for, he would have to fork out way more money to have a professional team create a better IDE and given the fact he's a one man band I doubt he has the spare resources to cope with that.

I would include Mollusk along with Jungle in that keeping you sane comment, Mollusk may be a bit bare but it delivers those key features which really help at the ground level of your coding experience.

As for delivering something useful, your clearly wrong as people have not only created useful apps but massively successful ones at that, it may not be immediately evident from the apps section on this site, but if you have been around for a while you will know the games I am talking about.

I will take this opportunity to repeat myself, I wish monkey had a built in loading bar/system for asset loading, something like Unities, or any number of other tool sets out there, its the perfect and non intrusive way to show what a game was made with and would help show and highlight what was mode with monkey.

Paul - Taiphoz(Posted 2014) [#37]
Shinkiro1 added some of the data you linked, thanks mate, slight definition difference between my list and his tho but I'v adjusted for it so should be all good.

Drezan(Posted 2014) [#38]
Thanks Paul... :) good read. helped me out a lot.

Shinkiro1(Posted 2014) [#39]
Good work.
Textmate supports projects, not solutions. Autocomplete is also more limited, not to confuse people.

time-killer-games(Posted 2014) [#40]
@Paul I wouldn't mind telling people my game was made with monkey x but to have that advertisement forced into my games without my consent would be rather annoying.

Paul - Taiphoz(Posted 2014) [#41]
@TKG Its a common practice just look at Unity, GameMaker and a number of other tools, in fact going further look at any AAA title they almost always advertise the engine used to make the game, frostbite, crytek and the reason they do it is for free and extra publicity, if its good enough for some of the biggest names in the industry I don't see why we do not also do it.

Cant think of a single downside to having a standard monkey-x loading bar.

time-killer-games(Posted 2014) [#42]
They only do that in the lite versions. And I like how monkey is one of the few engines that doesn't do this. If I had my way all game engines wouldn't slap their logos on my products. Visual Studio doesn't do this even though a lot of people use it for games, please don't encourage the development of monkey to go backwards. I'm begging you. What you are asking will help BRL and their product alone and not at all helping us or our products.

In fact it does the complete opposite of helping us we should have the right to choose whether to advertise what our games were made with. That is something no one should be able to determine for a game other than the person who developed it. I really don't know why you would want a game engine of all things to be more limited, it has enough limitations as is we could do without such limitation quite honestly.

If monkey forced the logo in my games I would either stop updating and resort to using versions without that or if I ended up missing a ton of features only available with the monkey logo forced versions I would simply quit monkey all together and go back to GameMaker:Studio since it doesn't require a forced logo.

BTW, GameMaker had a loading bar that included the logo but again that was only in the lite version. This only applied to GameMaker 8.1 and below which were all windows only. Both GameMaker for Mac and the latest version, called GameMaker:Studio, even the lite version of Studio, these don't force unwanted logos anymore, heck, they don't have an opening loading bar anymore, either, it opens the actual game window instantaneously, YoYoGames did this because they realized forced branding is not a good idea at all.

And why add a loading bar if Monkey games open just fine, instantaneously, the main game window? It's like making a loading bar that keeps people waiting even though there's nothing technically being loaded or rational to wait for, because everything already loads in like a milisecond on startup. Why intentionally make our games slower? Where's the point in that?

Just because it's a common practice doesn't make it a good practice. Drunk driving is a common practice. =P

grudlux(Posted 2014) [#43]
Hey Taiphoz, thanks for putting together this IDE comparison. It seems like an accurate summary to me (although I obviously know Mollusk best).

Just to reiterate (especially for newcomers), my editor Mollusk is intended to be a mid-level IDE somewhere between Ted (simple) and Jungle (most advanced) in terms of features / update frequency / price / customizability. I'm a firm believer in try-before-you-buy, so I always tell people to try the demo -- if you do or don't like it, that's okay :)

Anyway, to stay on-topic (which is really off-topic?) I would not want a mandatory Monkey logo starting my games... but it would be nice if we had a standard Monkey splash screen for anyone who WANTS to display one.

muddy_shoes(Posted 2014) [#44]
I'd say that Monkey doesn't offer a loading screen/bar for the very reason that it isn't a game engine like Unity, GM etc. It's a language and some libraries. It'd be like putting up a splash screen announcing that your game was programmed in C++.

Gerry Quinn(Posted 2014) [#45]
Well Murubu, I have been around longer than you I guess, because I started on the Sinclair Spectrum and typed in a quasi-assembler written in Basic. I had a Spectrum compiler that took five minutes and used the screen memory, and didn't do much more than tokenise everything along with a few minor optimisations. When microdrives came, they were a massive advance - and let's face it, microdrives were terrible! I also programmed an IBM with punched cards. Did you ever have a program you could carry around, and if you dropped it, all the statements became jumbled?

As for TED, I don't use it, but in fact I use Mollusc which is really more of a better TED rather than the ambitious Jungle which aims towards being more like MSVC, The fact is, I have developed and released programs and if there were nothing but TED available I'd have developed and released them just the same.

I don't understand the stuff about how a team could only deliver product using a (better) Jungle and stay sane, If they were my team, they'd better deliver the sectors of code they were working on in such a way that they would be usable even if nobody had anything better than NotePad.

Gerry Quinn(Posted 2014) [#46]
grudlux said: " I would not want a mandatory Monkey logo starting my games... but it would be nice if we had a standard Monkey splash screen for anyone who WANTS to display one."

Exactly. Perhaps it would be a good idea to 'bake in' a small Monkey logo and have a default splash screen that used it (could be a default option in App class).

muruba(Posted 2014) [#47]
Gerry, I was doing zx80 and intel 8080 before that and everything everywhere starting in 80s in different languages. I didn't say you can't deliver anything in TED, of course you can. You can write in notepad as you said. I myself knew a guy who wrote huge programs in assembler in one line (automatically going to next one after 65k line limit). But this is not for me and I don't need it in 2014. I want to be efficient and productive. Lack of basic programming must-haves like re-factoring capabilities and auto-complete feature is something really crazy. This is not 80s. There was a huge advancement and even Jungle feels a bit old comparing to Eclipse, for example. But native TED is not even and IDE - just a very primitive text editor.

MikeHart(Posted 2014) [#48]
But native TED is not even and IDE - just a very primitive text editor.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Integrated_development_environment

I think categorizing TED as an IDE is correct. IDE is a very broad term for tools you can edit source code with.

muruba(Posted 2014) [#49]
Fair enough, this is not a "modern IDE" then :)

time-killer-games(Posted 2014) [#50]
"Most modern IDEs offer Intelligent code completion features."
~Wikipedia

"Integrated development environments are designed to maximize programmer productivity by providing tight-knit components with similar user interfaces. IDEs present a single program in which all development is done."
~Wikipedia

Having to edit the config texts outside TED and managing resources (images, sound, models, documents) outside of TED means it isn't a single program because not all of development is done in the IDE, some of it is done in windows explorer and notepad. I guess if you really want to stretch it, you could call windows explorer an IDE of its own, too.

Though in a broad sense TED is technically considered an IDE, IDE is a term that has been used since early computing and the meaning never changed since it was originally defined, it appears. However, nowadays, what you call a "modern" IDE has a meaning that changes greatly just about every half a decade. That said, TED would've been lucky to be called modern over a decade ago. Roughly a decade ago GameMaker 4.3 had a better interface and IDE than what TED has right now, which is a little sad. But it's not your fault BRL, you could hire more monkey developers and become famous, though I know that may be a little risky at a first glance, if you pull together a team that is reliable, determined, and trustworthy who knows what might happen. =)

Aman(Posted 2014) [#51]
Thanks for the list and the links. I use notepad++ sometimes as it is fast and support most languages but my main IDE is Jungle. I never knew that someone else used notepad++. I had to make my own UDL for monkey.

But the table needs some modifications. TextMate is only available on Mac not Windows. Same goes to BBEdit and TextWrangler. Sublime is available on all 3 systems. If you decided to add notepad++ to the table, it is only available on Windows. It supports Syntax Highlight and Auto Complete. It does not support intellisense,Projects/Solutions, or Contextual Help. you might wanna add which of those allow you to build and run your projects from within the editor (dedicated projects do this by default while others needs you to point to transcc file. This feature is not supported in BBEdit or TextWrangler.

Edit: Notepad++ needs a plug-in to build and run monkey files. The plug in is: NppExec. Simply press F6. This is an example of a script you could use to build and run your monkey projects.
npp_save
CD $(CURRENT_DIRECTORY)
C:\Users\*****\Documents\Monkey\Bin\transcc_winnt.exe -run -config=debug -target=Desktop_Game   "$(FILE_NAME)"

Paul - Taiphoz(Posted 2014) [#52]
Updated , and added the new data to the table, let me know if I missed anything, also since you posted a handy screen shot I have linked to your post as additional information rather than just copying your text over, that way people will see your screen shot which can be a lot more helpful.

Goodlookinguy(Posted 2014) [#53]
Should probably add this to the list http://www.monkey-x.com/Community/posts.php?topic=8288&page=1

nicnic(Posted 2014) [#54]
For VIM users: http://www.monkey-x.com/Community/posts.php?topic=1115

SLotman(Posted 2014) [#55]
Can you actually debug monkey code on Notepad++, like you can on TED? Or just compile and capture the output?

ziggy(Posted 2014) [#56]
I don't think you can. In fact, I think you won't be able to manually debug neither, as last time I checked Notedpad++ it did not provide any "console-like" window that accept feedback for the program input pipe.