Codecademy?

Monkey Forums/Monkey Beginners/Codecademy?

Kill0byte(Posted 2014) [#1]
Hi there!

I'm new to the Monkey community, although I've been aware of the project for quite some time now. I was wondering if anyone had thought about putting up a beginner's course in Monkey on a site like codecademy? The videos by InvaderJim are great, but I have a hard time following video tutorials because I'm constantly pausing the video to switch to the IDE, etc. Anyway, I was just wondering. I look forward to getting to know you all as time goes on. :)

bazmonkey(Posted 2014) [#2]
Hi-
Jim's videos are indeed awesome. I made a couple of tutorials myself during the summer, aimed at a beginner level:
Part1 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0FemgEQ7Pto
Part2 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RotqUaSFeLE

Codeacademy isnt really somewhere I hang out though.
I'd like to do some more (better ones?!) but they are a lot of work :/ It would be a huge job to build an entire course, but someone might do it!
I know what you mean about actually using the IDE yourself versus just watching a video.

I think the monkey examples folder is also very useful for learning - after going through those I was pretty confident to make a simple game.

good luck,
baz

Goodlookinguy(Posted 2014) [#3]
I've heard of CodeAcademy, but it sounded like a really bad idea from what I heard. It's like they're trying to teach everyone to program when very clearly not everyone should program. I can attest to this being in a programming class where I was a tutor for a number of the students. Even with a 45 minute explanation, this guy could not understand the printf command in Java. I digressed though, maybe I'll take a look to see just what it is. I like to teach sometimes, although I drift off into tangents a bit too frequently.

Edit: According to the site, it's only for teaching web-related languages and you can't go outside that bubble. So just sit down and learn Monkey the classic way everyone else learned it, by doing.

Sammy(Posted 2014) [#4]
Nice vids Baz, well done! :)