Problems downloading the Monkey IDE

Monkey Forums/Monkey Beginners/Problems downloading the Monkey IDE

En929(Posted 2014) [#1]
I wanted to try out the free Monkey Programming language but i had trouble downloading the IDE. My Norton Virus protection software wouldn't let me download it and said it was unsafe. In fact, Norton removes it. My protection software is on it's basic and default settings. Thus, did anybody else have this problem? Thanks!

MikeHart(Posted 2014) [#2]
No, probably false alarm.

Goodlookinguy(Posted 2014) [#3]
This is likely a false positive. Norton is notorious for having these. Especially when it comes to compiler type stuff. I remember back when I used to use it that one time it detected a C compiler I was using and declared it as a virus.

En929(Posted 2014) [#4]
Yes I think you're right. I remember when Norton did this when I tried to download something made in FreeBasic. The Norton program called it a virus and what I downloaded was something that I made myself. I just went and download the Monkey Programming IDE and it's working just fine now.

GfK(Posted 2014) [#5]
Norton is just pathetic these days. Delete it, and regain your liberty.

En929(Posted 2014) [#6]
GfK,I think I will right after my subscription with them is over. After that, I'll probably look into another virus software. Besides, Norton seems like a very heavy software program and it seems to clog up my computer sometimes.

ziggy(Posted 2014) [#7]
If you look for alternatives, I would recommend you to take a look at Nod32. It's very very light in CPU consumption and has a good reputation of being very solid in the protection it provides

Supertino(Posted 2014) [#8]
I have always used AVG Free, no bloat just gets on with it quietly in the background, You'll need get to full version for all round security but I've not had issues with AVG and windows Firewall protecting me.

En929(Posted 2014) [#9]
Ok thanks for all the input. I'll look into those Alternative Virus protection programs.

Geddes(Posted 2014) [#10]
I notified Norton of this - they replied:

"Upon further analysis and investigation we have verified your submission and as such this detection will be removed from our products.
The updated detection will be distributed in the next set of virus definitions, available via LiveUpdate or from our website."

I think they have been very helpful and efficient, and I have got on well with their software.