Creating a New Project

Monkey Forums/Monkey Beginners/Creating a New Project

Alejandro L. García(Posted 2014) [#1]
Well, this is weird and I feel silly but I bought the PRO version, downloaded, read ocs, felt ready to start and... I cannot find where to create a new project.

In Projects tab only appears MonkeyPro76d, I can close it and open an existing one but I can only create new files not projects.

Did I miss anything?

Thank you!

dawlane(Posted 2014) [#2]
The default IDE doesn't use a project file it's a very simple IDE.
Create a directory using the file explorer (or when you create an new monkey file) and give it a name. It's best not to use spaces or any symbols in the file or directory names.
Then you open this directory as a project via the Build menu (Open Project). In this menu there is a also two menu items named Lock Build File/ Unlock Build File. All these do is to set/ unset which file is to be used as the main program entry file.
Once you have opened a directory as a project. You can right click it in the project browser to create new files or directories.

MikeHart(Posted 2014) [#3]
You can create folders also from within TED. Projects are just folders.

Alejandro L. García(Posted 2014) [#4]
Ok, thank you very much.

Then, I see this is Ted but in Monkey Game Development Beginner's Guide talks about Monk and the following instructions to create a project and so on. Even the creating new file issue is different. I'm a little lost, where is Monk? Is Ted now Monk? What happened?

Edit: Ok, I'm seeing something has changed in one year and the book is not a step by step guide anymore unless I'm missing anthing.

dawlane(Posted 2014) [#5]
Monkey (aka Monk) is the pre-loader for TED which is the actual IDE. It's main task is to set up a few environment variables and register the IDE. Monkey.exe or Monkey for Linux and Apple OSX (which is a show as a directory in Linux and Windows) is in the root MonkeyPro directory. TED is in the MonkeyPro bin directory along with the configuration files and the compiler and a number of tools.

Alejandro L. García(Posted 2014) [#6]
Thank you, Mike, it's only I had been reading your Begginer's Guide during the last months until I could buy Monkey PRO and have enough time to spend with it and I am encountering some differences in these first basic things so I began a little lost.

Thank you very miuch you all.

MikeHart(Posted 2014) [#7]
Yes Alejandro, since the book was written A LOT has happened with Monkey and it set of features. Just ask in the forum when you feel lost, everyone here is very helpful.

Midimaster(Posted 2014) [#8]
The first step is alway to click on NEW in ted. At first you decide for a name for your app and SAVE the empty code. After thatyou will get an empty white paper, where you can begin writing. As a second step I always copy this basic code into this white paper:
Strict
Import mojo
Class Game Extends App

Method OnCreate%()
		SetUpdateRate 10
		Return 0
	End	

Method OnUpdate%()
		If KeyHit(KEY_ESCAPE) OnBack()
		Return 0
	End	

Method OnRender%()
		DrawText Millisecs(),30,30
		Return 0
	End	

Method OnBack%()
		EndApp()
		Return 0
	End	
End

Function Main%()
	New Game
	Return 0
End

This is a minimal runable sample. Select "HTML5 Game" as a target and press F5. Your first app will start.

Alejandro L. García(Posted 2014) [#9]
Thank you too. I was able to rrproduce the first of the examples in the Guide and going along wiyh the IDE.
I will ask when things become more difficult.

See you!

Supertino(Posted 2014) [#10]
@Alejandro if you're looking for a more fleshed out IDE with all the things you expect from a modern IDE check out Jungle IDE http://www.jungleide.com/