Single list of any type

Monkey Forums/Monkey Beginners/Single list of any type

Sammy(Posted 2014) [#1]
Not for any specific program but I was wondering if this was possible?

Say I had a list(or any other type of dimensioned structure) and I wanted to dump multiple unrelated objects in it. Then at a later point parse through the list and process each object differently, dependant on their class type. The only way I can see for this to work is by using interfaces or super-classes, both of which require messing with the object structure?

Nobuyuki(Posted 2014) [#2]
Yes, generally speaking those are the two main ways to handle running a method on disparate objects in a list. The advantage to using an interface is that you don't have to always inherit from the superclass.

Define an interface with a processing method requirement, set the list to the type of your interface, and for each object type that goes in the list, define that processing method within the object class's definition. This requires minimal refactoring of your existing object structure - just implement the interface and add the required method to each class you want to use.

Jesse(Posted 2014) [#3]
You can do it as Object
list:List<Object>

but will be forced to cast every object before using them.

MikeHart(Posted 2014) [#4]
Like Jesse mentioned, make the list a general Object list. Then inside each object, have a field thta determines the type of the object. When you iterate through the list, cast the object to one which represents the actual class of the object and you can go from there.

Sammy(Posted 2014) [#5]
Ah, that clarifies my options by quite a bit, thank you all.

If speed is of a precedent then use interfaces but if you don't mind the casting hit, then my life could be much simpler by going down the "of type" Object route.

Nobuyuki(Posted 2014) [#6]
I still believe using an Interface or Abstract superclass is a better practice depending on your needs -- casting from Object is very ugly.

Edit: And the reason is because when you start needing to use the mystery Objects in your list, you need to perform a voodoo downcast and pray to the computer gods that you don't end up hosing your program at runtime

Gerry Quinn(Posted 2014) [#7]
Yeah, the thing about casting from objects is that either you need some kind of reflection or else a way of knowing what each object is when you access it from the list If your objects all contain a 'type' field, you are already close to effectively having an interface or base class.

Sammy(Posted 2014) [#8]
Casting objects on HTML5 and Android is pretty slow, so it's something I will probably avoid for that reason alone too.

NoOdle(Posted 2014) [#9]
[bbcode]
Interface IProcess
Method Process : Void()
End Interface

'// As many classes as you need can implement IProcess, allowing different control over each type in the list
Class Item Implements IProcess
Method Process : Void()
'// Process here!
End Method
End Class

'// Store all IProcess classes, each having a unique process method
Global processList : List< IProcess >

[/bbcode]
Thats how I would start at least, allows a lot of freedom with little costs.