Slow "Build and Run" of some games in Packt's book

Monkey Forums/Monkey Beginners/Slow "Build and Run" of some games in Packt's book

spintop(Posted 2013) [#1]
Hi, I have bought the book "Monkey Game Development: Beginner's Guide" today. The book is very nice.

Now I face a strange problem. I am using the free version of Monkey X on Windows XP.

I "Build and Run" the games from Chapter 2 to Chapter 9. In HTML5 target, there is no problem. Each game spends a few seconds in "Build and Run".

In Windows Desktop target, there is no problem in the games in Chapter 2 and Chapter 3. Each game only spends about six seconds in "Build and Run". However, the games from Chapter 4 to Chapter 9 are abnormal, every game spends over 1 minute in "Build and Run".

I also "Build and Run" many official samples in Monkey X's package to Windows Desktop target. "Build and Run" is also fast for these official samples.

I hope that some users are also using Monkey X free version with this book. Thanks.

MikeHart(Posted 2013) [#2]
Which version of fantomEngine do you use?

spintop(Posted 2013) [#3]
Which version of fantomEngine do you use?

Thanks. It is version 1.50. I know this from the Changes.txt file in the fantomEngine folder. (All these files and folders are downloaded from Packt's website after purchasing this book. )

MikeHart(Posted 2013) [#4]
Ok, it COULD be that in that version, REFLECTION is active.

Please check the fantomEngine.monkey file to see if the lines regarding reflection are commented.

Import mojo

#If TARGET="html5"
Import "data/ftLoadingBar.png"
Import "data/ftOrientation_changeP.png"
Import "data/ftOrientation_changeL.png"
#End

'Import reflection
'#REFLECTION_FILTER+="|fantomEngine.cftObj*"
'#REFLECTION_FILTER+="|fantomEngine*"

Sometimes I activate this to check for syntax errors in unused code and forget to deactivate it before I upload a version. Having reflection active means that the build proccess takes longer.

Btw. fantomEngine is on version 1.52 already and 1.53 will be released soon (I hope by the end of this year).

spintop(Posted 2013) [#5]
Thank you. The problem is solved.

The code in that file is as follows:

Import reflection
'#REFLECTION_FILTER+="|fantomEngine.cftObject*"
#REFLECTION_FILTER+="|fantomEngine*"

MikeHart(Posted 2013) [#6]
Cool i have to send an update to Packtpub then.

How do you like the book?

spintop(Posted 2013) [#7]
Cool i have to send an update to Packtpub then.

How do you like the book?

Hi, since I have only read a little in this book, I cannot comment too much. (I bought it yesterday.) However, the first impression about this book is that this book is good. Those games written for the eight chapters of the book are very nice. I like these games. USD 5 is a very good price. My impression is that this book is suitable for semi elementary programming learners to intermediate programming learners. Absolute beginners may want more explanations of different basic programming concepts. I think that a new book for absolute beginner should be a good idea. I believe that the new book will help many kids and teenagers to start learning programming and making games. Perhaps the new book will become a text book in many schools and colleges. I also look forward to this new book.

Finally, there are about 400 pages in the current book and that is very good! It also shows that the author is a diligent author.

MikeHart(Posted 2013) [#8]
Thank you for your kind words. :-)