Where is the EXE file? Is Michael Hartlef's book.?

Monkey Forums/Monkey Beginners/Where is the EXE file? Is Michael Hartlef's book.?

spintop(Posted 2013) [#1]
Hello, I have two questions.

1. Where is the EXE file created (I mean desktop game target)? I cannot find the EXE file created.

2. Is Michael Hartlef's book(Monkey Game Development: Beginner's Guide) suitable for programming beginner?

Thank you very much.!

SLotman(Posted 2013) [#2]
It depends on the target. On GLFW/MingW it stays on <project>.build/glfw/gcc_winnt/release (or debug).
If you're distributing your app, don't forget to include the /data folder.

Capn Lee(Posted 2013) [#3]
I learned Monkey from Michael's book and I'd say it's suitable for programming beginners, it goes over a lot of the basics and doesn't make any assumptions that you know any of the basics. You will spend a long time copying chunks of code, sometimes with little understanding of what you're doing at the time but all in all I would recommend it for a beginner. You learn everything practically, seeing as though all lessons are framed around making aracade games.
I'd also recommend InvaderJim's videos which take a different approach and teach you all of the basic things you can do, eventually there are videos about making a game from scratch which is really handy.

MikeHart(Posted 2013) [#4]
To understand the book better, it would help if you know Monkey and programming a little. The focus is more on creating the games than showing someone the basics of programming. Monkeys help section is pretty good, you should study this first. It has also the links to some great video tutorials.
btw. The ebook is on sale for only 5 usd atm.

MikeHart(Posted 2013) [#5]
Thanks Capt Lee. Maybe i was to modest about my book. It is always great to read a positive reaction on your work.

spintop(Posted 2013) [#6]
It depends on the target. On GLFW/MingW it stays on <project>.build/glfw/gcc_winnt/release (or debug).
If you're distributing your app, don't forget to include the /data folder.

SLotman, thank you.

Capn Lee, thanks. Your information is very useful.

To understand the book better, it would help if you know Monkey and programming a little. The focus is more on creating the games than showing someone the basics of programming. Monkeys help section is pretty good, you should study this first. It has also the links to some great video tutorials.
btw. The ebook is on sale for only 5 usd atm.

MikeHart, ok...I will buy this book.