Steam Direct begins operating one week from today, on June 13th.

Community Forums/Technical Discourse/Steam Direct begins operating one week from today, on June 13th.

Zethrax(Posted June) [#1]
Greenlight got shut down today. Valve are no longer accepting Greenlight submissions. They will apparently be turning on Steam Direct in a weeks time.

http://steamcommunity.com/games/593110/announcements/detail/1265922321514182595

It will be interesting to see how this plays out. It will all likely get tweaked over time. Until Valve start using some sort of human checking to ensure that games are actually fit for purpose we'll probably still get broken games showing up though.

(tu) ENAY(Posted June) [#2]
According to Jim Sterling, Green Light and Steam Direct, basically nothing is changing, aside from the fact that you need to pay 100 dollars now for EVERY game and not just the subscription fee of 100 dollars.
I guess it will stop developers spamming shit on the stores, but it seems to me like the least of effect from valve, and most profit from valve.
I'm still amazed valve don't have any human checking, especially since Apple does.

JoshK(Posted June) [#3]
Everyone relying on Steam for revenue is fucked. I've known this was coming for a few years and have made preparations.

Zethrax(Posted June) [#4]
Valve claim to have some human checks in place. Judging by some of the stuff that's popped up on Jim Sterling's channel lately they don't seem to be checking if the game actually loads or if pressing the Start Game button actually does anything though.

As we have been doing for the past year, there is a short process prior to release where our review team installs each game to check that it is configured correctly, matches the description provided on the store page, and doesn't contain malicious content.

(tu) ENAY(Posted June) [#5]

Everyone relying on Steam for revenue is fucked. I've known this was coming for a few years and have made preparations.

Preparations like this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sfBodi3W7yQ&t=16s
(Steam front page starts from 4:00 onwards)

Literally uploading a game known as "Test", so you can change it to a real game later and not have to pay the upload fees? :)

Rooster(Posted June) [#6]
Literally uploading a game known as "Test", so you can change it to a real game later and not have to pay the upload fees?

Well thats a diabolically clever work around.

@JoshK
I'd like like to know what your strategy is. I'm all for contingency plans. =P

(tu) ENAY(Posted June) [#7]

One could say that if you're seriously trying to make a go of it, 100 dollars will be easily made back. On the other hand, it really does penalise first time devs and devs from really poor countries who want to get their foot in the door.

If only Steam hadn't put that crappy card trading stuff in, then perhaps the store wouldn't have been flooded with so much crap.

Zethrax(Posted June) [#8]
On the other hand, it really does penalize first time devs and devs from really poor countries who want to get their foot in the door.

Not really. If the game is ready to be put on Steam then they should be able to make that $100 by selling the game on Itch.io and other games marketplace sites that don't require a fee, or by crowdfunding it. The internet tends to level out the playing field in that regard.

coffeedotbean(Posted June) [#9]
the $100 per game will stop the submission of the same game just with different art assets which was an issue. I think it will help, sadly its priced me off steam but I got a game on there already so thats a plus.

GfK(Posted June) [#10]
The $100 is recoverable, don't forget. So you'll only actually lose your money if your game sucks donkey balls, in which case it shouldn't be on Steam in the first place.

coffeedotbean(Posted June) [#11]
only once you earn $1000?! - I don't know how likely that would be for most submissions. I guess you don't submit unless you're able to write off $100 and with far less game clogging up the system theres more chance games will be discovered so might all come out okay in the wash.

(tu) ENAY(Posted June) [#12]
Zethrax I love the way you quoted my post but corrected my spelling mistake. Made me laff :)

Rooster(Posted June) [#13]
@coffeedotbean
I'm not sure how effective it will be at cutting down on spam, since all you have to do is churn out games that make more that the fee.
The scary part is that a lot of people wanted the fee to be higher ($1000).

JoshK(Posted June) [#14]
I'd like like to know what your strategy is. I'm all for contingency plans.

You can probably figure it out if you look at my website.