Flying VTOL Jet - I want one.

Community Forums/Technical Discourse/Flying VTOL Jet - I want one.

Grisu(Posted May) [#1]
Hi!

I heard about this project by random:

Looks promising. I really hope, we finally get rid of the outdated means of transportation we use today. But as with many inventions: They will be sold and never see mass-production.

Grisu

Steve Elliott(Posted May) [#2]
That does look like an elegant efficient solution to vertical take off and fly.

Naughty Alien(Posted May) [#3]
..this is not 'jet' by all means..and it uses duct fans which are a disaster call when we talk about efficiency..this looks to me more like a hunt for dumb investor than anything else..

skidracer(Posted June) [#4]

second half rocks out, the main problem with above is the deafening volume

Blitzplotter(Posted June) [#5]
wow, just wow,interesting times.

steve_ancell(Posted June) [#6]
With car insurance being as bad as it is, can you imagine how much the premium would be on that air vehicle!

xlsior(Posted June) [#7]
Most people can't be trusted to drive safely in 2 dimensions, and certainly can't be trusted witha 3rd unless you also have designated 3D roadways, and fully self-'driving' planes which enforce proper maintenance and diagnostic standard as well.

degac(Posted June) [#8]
too much low efficiency... in a world where we want to reduce pollution, energy waste etc a such thing is going in the wrong direction.

Honestly I can't imagine where to find the 'space' for parking this beast!
We have not even the park for our cars ! :)

The only thing we (maybe) see in future are flying-cargo for delivery.

xlsior(Posted June) [#9]
Honestly I can't imagine where to find the 'space' for parking this beast!
We have not even the park for our cars ! :)

Flat rooftops?

Steve Elliott(Posted June) [#10]
People are talking like this is a straight car replacement. No, you would have to acquire a pilot's licence, much like a helicopter pilot does right now. They're not just going to let the average muppet who can't park their car between 2 white lines get hold of one.

Naughty Alien(Posted June) [#11]
..this is not even manned during tests..what if more than 4 duct fans goes off? This thing will fall like a brick..lets put some numbers in to picture..

Their project plan for 5 seater version:
total power 435HP
battery pack 320KW !!

I mean..are you kidding me ?? Battery pack weight ?? Payload??

Tesla 85 kW battery pack weighs 540 kg. So how heavy will be 320KW battery pack??

skidracer(Posted June) [#12]
tesla trucks also don't make sense unless the technology curve is just taking off for storage.

col(Posted June) [#13]
I once asked a person who worked for the petrol industry 'why are you not investing in researching water for fuel? I mean after all it's loaded with hydrogen; separate the hydrogen from the water at the point of ignition requirement, product of burning hydrogen = steam ( more water )'? But no, she didn't have an answer and tried to make all kinds of excuses about it being expensive. Yeah, because designing, building and maintaining huge oil drilling rigs, huge oil boat containers, huge pipelines, huge truck containers and fuel filling stations is cheap right?

The basic idea

NASA use on it space stations and produce so much hydrogen that they dump it out.

Oh wait... the reason its not actively developed? how do you govern taxing water that falls free from the sky?

I wish I had the smarts and time to invest into designing and creating a device to do this myself, and I don't mean the mickey mouse devices that you see all over YouTube :p

Anyway... The Martin Jetpack thing would make a cool game.

Rooster(Posted June) [#14]
@col
You can't use water a fuel, you can only get as much energy out as it takes to split it apart (first law of thermodynamics).
And once you add in all the inefficacies along the way, you get a net loss.

It could work as a way to store energy, but not as a energy source.

Steve Elliott(Posted June) [#15]

Anyway... The Martin Jetpack thing would make a cool game.

MJ has a Jetpack in his Tank Universal 2 game :)

Naughty Alien(Posted June) [#16]
[quote]
I once asked a person who worked for the petrol industry 'why are you not investing in researching water for fuel?
[\quote]

..maybe because, after all, its not organic but abiotic, which means, mother earth cranking it out all the time, instead of dead dinosaurs myth as a limited supply..how many times oil peak happened..running out of it?? LOL..i have had some 3 years working for Petronas research facility where i could see oil rig drilling data..there is so much of it out there that all that nonsense of 'drying it out' is a joke..in some 40% of sealed drill spots, oil came back within 15 years..dead dinosaurs my ass..

..so, why would they even bother with such research, while knowing that there is just so many oil out there which keep 'coming' and all you need is already established infrastructure, science to get it and processes to refine it...much much easier and cheaper than all this hydrogen and what not, talks..

col(Posted June) [#17]
so, why would they even bother with such research, while knowing that there is just so many oil out there which keep 'coming' and all you need is already established infrastructure, science to get it and processes to refine it...much much easier and cheaper than all this hydrogen and what not, talks

Because money isn't everything?
So we can breathe respectable air qualities in our cities - reducing vehicle smog?
So we can breathe respectable air qualities outside the cities - reducing industrial smog output?
So that can we live in a little less oppressive society? - fuels create a need and where there's a need you will find greed.
Stop wars in the middle east that are oil/fuel related?

Naughty Alien(Posted June) [#18]
[quote]
Because money isn't everything?
[\quote]

..i agree 100% with that man..im just explaining what is the point of view of those who are actual decision makers..and, like it or not, their perspective is exactly...money..unfortunately..

col(Posted June) [#19]
That's very true. If only they would listen to others and maybe think outside the box a little more.

Rick Nasher(Posted June) [#20]
I want a Lilium flying car. It reminds me of The Fifth Element chase scene:

Would be more safe with anti-grav(not existing yet) though.

(tu) ENAY(Posted June) [#21]
Due to ongoing terrorism worries, I doubt this sort of technology is going to be given to plebs like us anyway.