Good times ahead for desktop.

Community Forums/Technical Discourse/Good times ahead for desktop.

skidracer(Posted May) [#1]
DDR4 up to 4133MHz!

8K Monitors

And this:

As the 80's would say, The Future's So Bright, I Gotta Wear Shades.

Rooster(Posted May) [#2]
What exactly is pic of?

skidracer(Posted May) [#3]
Good question. It is new Intel technology featuring CPU and FPGA on same chip.

dawlane(Posted May) [#4]
I think that this should shed some light on what the CPU/FPGA combination is about, but it's not aimed at desktops.
http://www.embeddedintel.com/commentary.php?article=2143
https://www.extremetech.com/extreme/184828-intel-unveils-new-xeon-chip-with-integrated-fpga-touts-20x-performance-boost
https://hothardware.com/news/ardware-boost-intel-to-offer-custom-xeons-with-embedded-fpgas

Grisu(Posted May) [#5]
8K monitors with 60 fps and @27" are worthless for most gamers. Public TV is not all converted to 1080p yet. Also you won't have much to show its quality yet. Even 8K wallpapers are hard to find on the internet.

For CPUs: I'm more happy for AMD than what Intel has released the last 4 years. We would have never seen 8 core CPUs in the normal destop market without the push from AMD.

DDR4: I'll skip that and wait for DDR5. :)

Rick Nasher(Posted May) [#6]
And... "surely 640K should be enough for everyone" right?

IMHO more capacity/possibilities are *always* better in the field of computers no matter what, as most people cannot usually foresee what it would be useful for until it's actually there, so I applaud any progress in those fields. If it will be used or not remains to be seen, but that doesn't really matter.

skidracer(Posted May) [#7]
Grisu, I am interested in using the PC for work and creative endeavors with little interest in traditional gaming or television watching.

Perhaps Samsung putting 8 cores in a phone in 2015 was more of a wake up call for Intel than anything AMD have managed in the last 10 years with Rizen being the only thing close to the "nearly-as-good" innovation required to survive.

Grisu(Posted May) [#8]
I see your point. As workstation 8K monitors offered like this one
http://www.dell.com/en-us/shop/dell-ultrasharp-32-8k-monitor-up3218k/apd/210-alez/monitors-monitor-accessories are way too small for my taste.

It will take some more years untill we see bigger screens with higher refresh rates at 4 or 8K and below 1.000 €. Therefore I'm not so excited about this stuff as I used to be. Though progress is always welcome.

xlsior(Posted May) [#9]
The big problem with 8K (and 4K as well, for that matter) is that DPI scaling *sucks* under windows, and the vast majority of existing software has no clue and renders everything at a fixed size.
So either you end up with unreadable microscopic text and toolbars, or you use the DPI multiplier and it magnifies things indiscriminately and everything still looks like ass.

(Personally I use a 32" monitor, but intentionally skipped the 4K and went with 2560x1440 -- same pixel size as a typical 24" @ 1920x1080, you just get more of them.)

Qube(Posted May) [#10]
The big problem with 8K (and 4K as well, for that matter) is that DPI scaling *sucks* under windows

Yes it does, I completely agree. I came across this a couple of years ago when I spent a £1000 on a decent specced Samsung 13" laptop which came with a high resolution touch screen. It all looked great until you launched apps outside the MS eco system. I read about all the DPI aware madness and thought, OK, I'll give it a while for apps to catch up. Two years later the exact same issue were present in a hell of a lot of apps and...

So either you end up with unreadable microscopic text and toolbars, or you use the DPI multiplier and it magnifies things indiscriminately and everything still looks like ass.

Exactly that. I found it incredibly odd as when Apple went over to "retina" displays I didn't remember older apps having this issue. Perhaps because in their locked world "retina" was double the original resolution of what you had before and so anything not "retina" ( I use quotes to express my loathing of the term ) just got x2 magnification. This gave plenty of time for apps devs to support the new craze in time for the super duper 5k iMacs. Either way, Apple handled the shift in crazy resolutions far better than MS did.

Any how, I still feel Microsoft could of done a lot better in preparing for this crazy resolution world a lot earlier.

JoshK(Posted May) [#11]
No, no, no, the PC is dead. We all work on iPads now. Mobile is the future because it does everything a PC does in the palm of your hand. The mobile game market is booming and we're all going to get rich making fart apps.

Rooster(Posted May) [#12]
@JoshK
I hope your being sarcastic.

Steve Elliott(Posted May) [#13]

I hope your being sarcastic.

and we're all going to get rich making fart apps.

I think it's safe to assume he was being sarcastic :)

dynaman(Posted May) [#14]
The Fart App market *IS* booming...