Quack Quack - Monkey2 3D HTML Demo

Community Forums/Technical Discourse/Quack Quack - Monkey2 3D HTML Demo

therevills(Posted May) [#1]
Mark has released a little runable demo:

http://www.monkey-x.com/mak/duck/Duck.html

Animated GIF of the demo:

I get 60FPS on my old desktop.

skidracer(Posted May) [#2]
No go on this old laptop but fascinating to see what wasm looks like in the Chrome debugger.

grindalf(Posted May) [#3]
I just get Exception Thrown, see JavaScript console

GfK(Posted May) [#4]
Works for me (Chrome 58.0.3029.110).

Is it normal for this stuff to be ultra-picky about what system it works on?

[edit]On a related note, how much access are we going to have to shaders in Monkey2? Not that I've even the slightest clue about such things at this stage but always looking for ways to frustrate improve myself.

AdamStrange(Posted May) [#5]
yep crash and javascript exception shown on safari locos too.

Blitzplotter(Posted May) [#6]
Works here on my old w7 desktop - running at 4FPS within firefox, nice to see the 3D duck having another outing ;)

Naughty Alien(Posted May) [#7]
W7-Opera-works

Rooster(Posted May) [#8]
It's working for me on Firefox.
So this is all in HTML?

Pakz(Posted May) [#9]
I am getting between 30 and 45 fps in fullscreen(hd) on a Amd a8 laptop in chrome.

Dan(Posted May) [#10]
The demo threw an exception on srware iron version 56.
Now iv installed the newest iron version (58.0.3050.0) and it works.

Yue(Posted May) [#11]
Ok, 8 FPS, my graphics card is bad gs 7100 256 MB

popcade(Posted May) [#12]
The duck is so Metal.

Rick Nasher(Posted May) [#13]
Under Win10Prox64 in;

-Edge, Chromodo and IE11: "Exception thrown, see JavaScript console"
-Chrome: all fine.

Is either browser or Firewall/Antivirus related?

xlsior(Posted May) [#14]
'Aw snap, something went wrong' in chrome on android

Steve Elliott(Posted May) [#15]
60 FPS here on PC, but I'm not at all convinced of the merits of HTML for games.

Doesn't work on Android Tablet.

grindalf(Posted May) [#16]
Can anyone who can get it working post a screen because I would love to see it

BlitzMan(Posted May) [#17]
@#12 i think that is the shader.

therevills(Posted May) [#18]
The demo is compiled using wasm (http://webassembly.org/), which only works on desktop chrome/firefox right now.

LineOf7s(Posted May) [#19]
Can anyone who can get it working post a screen because I would love to see it

GfK(Posted May) [#20]
It looks a lot more impressive when it's moving.

Steve Elliott(Posted May) [#21]

The demo is compiled using wasm, which only works on desktop chrome/firefox right now.

So whats the point of Monkey then? That was it's biggest selling point - that it ran on all platforms!

No it doesn't - and extremely slowly on systems here. If you can actually get it working.

Blitz Max ran on all desktop computers - and was fast! Without the restriction of trying to code for Desktops AND Mobile phones, and the compromise that it would inevitably bring!

640 x 480 at 4/8/30 FPS?! Sorry, but this is quite pathetic. Mark has produced far better than this nonsense.

Qube(Posted May) [#22]
The demo is compiled using wasm, which only works on desktop chrome/firefox right now.

So whats the point of Monkey then? That was it's biggest selling point - that it ran on all platforms!

WASM has been agreed with all the major browser technologies, Chrome, Firefox, Edge and WebKit. So In time they will all support it. It's early days but a smart choice to support.

No it doesn't - and extremely slowly on systems here. If you can actually get it working.

Strange as my nigh on 4 year old iMac

Runs it in Chrome at 60FPS ( also in full screen )

640 x 480 at 4/8/30 FPS?! Sorry, but this is quite pathetic. Mark has produced far better than this nonsense.

Early days + early tech can't be taken as the overall quality / performance of a final product.

MikeHart(Posted May) [#23]
Interesting but VERY slow. In Firefox Developer I get 1 FPS, in Chrome I get 20.

In my own game made with a different product, I get 35 FPS with a more complex scene, bigger canvas, in Firefox Developer Edition but I have no shadows running.

xlsior(Posted May) [#24]
Does work in Chrome on Win10, but FPS is very unsteady and all over the place, bouncing at values between 36fps and 60fps

(tu) ENAY(Posted May) [#25]
Silky smooth 60fps on my Win10 work pc. Very nice.

GfK(Posted May) [#26]

No it doesn't - and extremely slowly on systems here.
Yes, it does. My 3-year old already-low-end laptop obviously doesn't suck as much as whatever you're running it on.

dawlane(Posted May) [#27]
Runs smooth with steady 60 FPS in Chrome and Firefox in Win 10.
Runs smooth with FPS of 52-60 in Chrome under Linux Mint 18.04.

If your having crappy frame rates check that there isn't another process running in the background that's causing the problem such as that piece of spyware crap compatTelRunner.

TomToad(Posted May) [#28]
runs about 35-40 fps using Chrome on my laptop. AMD A8-6410 APU and 4GB RAM. Windows 10 Home.

col(Posted May) [#29]
Using Win7 x64 with Chrome 58.0.3029.110 (64-bit), I get a little popup box asking 'www.monkey-x.com says' with a text input box. Inputting anything just loops to the same thing. Clicking 'Cancel' then gives a 'GL ERROR! 1280' error in the cli at the bottom of the page. Suspecting gpu and/or drivers? This unit has a built in Intel HD gpu and a Geforce750gtx with nvidia driver 375.86.

therevills(Posted May) [#30]
Adding animated GIF:

Grisu(Posted May) [#31]
Getting around 100 FPS here with the latest FF and Win10.

Ian Thompson(Posted May) [#32]
Sam as col (cept I have a GTX 1080), some sort of debug input box thing loop and this if your press cancel...

Could not create canvas: Web page was not allowed to create a WebGL context.,:(,{"antialias":true,"alpha":false,"depth":true,"stencil":true,"majorVersion":1,"minorVersion":0}
SDL_GetError=Could not create EGL context

FATAL ERROR: SDL_GL_CreateContext failed
{{!DEBUG!}}

Unrecognized debug cmd: