adblock plus

Community Forums/Technical Discourse/adblock plus

skidracer(Posted May) [#1]
Typically I run chrome with Adblock plus.

A few months back I disabled it as it was injecting stuff that was interfering with some fragile http server code at work.

Anyways, I only went to turn it on today as shite level of facebook seems to have gone past the 80% mark, but after enabling it I get zero ads blocked on facebook so it looks like I need an alternative plugin to ABP.

I would prefer something with 1 million + users that scrubs facebook clean of all the zuckerisation.

xlsior(Posted May) [#2]
users that scrubs facebook clean of all the zuckerisation.

Personally I'd prefer something that scrubs the internet from facebook. :-?

But seriously, have you tried the 'regular' adblock?
Despite the very similar name, it's made by different people than adblock plus, does seem to work pretty well, and also has millions of users.

https://getadblock.com/

(If you do try it, make sure to go into the option and select the various filter lists you want to apply)

BlitzSupport(Posted May) [#3]
uBlock Origin replaced Adblock many moons ago for me.

skidracer(Posted May) [#4]
Nope, Adblock is also reporting 0 ads scrubbed from facebook, now running UO.

I wonder how easy it would be to kick facebook off the internet. As far as walled gardens that propagate ephemeral shit with half life of 12 seconds facebook take the cake at contributing zero to the wider web or human intelligence in general. The chat function is pretty good.

xlsior(Posted May) [#5]
I wonder how easy it would be to kick facebook off the internet.

Give it a few years , and the younger generation all will start using the 'next big thing' because to them Facebook is lame because that's were old people like their parents hang out.

(Think about it -- Before facebook took over, MySpace was the big dog -- they are completely insignificant now. Same thing will happen to facebook, which is why they are sepdnign billions of dollars buying other assets in a pre-emptive attempt to stay relevant when their social network will dry up in the future)

gpete(Posted May) [#6]
Ghostery and Priv3 with Mozilla...

Rooster(Posted May) [#7]
and the younger generation all will start using the 'next big thing' because to them Facebook is lame because that's were old people like their parents hang out.

Didn't that already happen?

Hotcakes(Posted May) [#8]
Give it a few years , and the younger generation all will start using the 'next big thing' because to them Facebook is lame because that's were old people like their parents hang out.

Maybe not, the wizened adults are moving to newer freed speech platforms like Minds, so Facebook might stay cool for some time yet.